first babies from my ring necks

Moderator: Mods

sue dragon

first babies from my ring necks

Post by sue dragon »

Hi just wanted share I first ever babies
Also little advice as have had bit of negative things said (not via this site) but I work so have been feeding when I can and letting mum do it as well I handle birds everyday for cuddles etc but have been told wont be enough for them to be tame I cuddle them several times a day they love snuggles.
My phone wont let me add photos of them
InTheAir

Re: first babies from my ring necks

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I have a theory that if you listen to your birds body language, let them choose when they want to be friends with you, never force or chase them and use positive reinforcement to train them they will tame up to you fine. I don't believe it is necessary to take them away from their parents as babies to make them tame.
I tested my theory by getting a 3 month old parent raised irn last year, the breeder had taken her out of the box and cuddled her a bit before she fledged but she wasn't handled after fledging. I made a diary on here, search "diary" and you will find it.
I'm really happy with how well she has responded.
Here's a video of her learning to let me pick her up in a towel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QPb8o1JYY I know of quite a few hand reared irns that won't do that.

The other thing that helped was that we already have a tame irn, so she learnt from him too. She was already stepping up on me when she came out of quarantine though, so it is possible to get results without a model. Btw she has always been fully flighted.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

It's certainly possible to tame a parent-reared bird.

I had a pair of Sun Conures a few years ago that took treats from me. I left them to raise their babies on their own and whenever those babies left the nest it took me a day or two to get the babies to accept treats from me. They became tame to the point of actually perching on my fingers while devouring their treats. It was a case of the babies seeing a behavior from their parents and copying it. However, I could never get the parents to perch on my fingers so the trick was in getting the babies to accept human interaction from a very young age.

Wessel
sue dragon

Post by sue dragon »

Hi and thank you so much for your advice
Just someone had been saying I should do it that way