BREEDING CAGE FOR HOUSES ?

Moderator: Mods

enderunn

BREEDING CAGE FOR HOUSES ?

Post by enderunn »

The sizes in the pictures (70x100x180) and is this breeding cage suitable for home usage. Please comment fort his.
Attachments
sds.jpg
Wessel Gordon

Re: BREEDING CAGE FOR HOUSES ?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Enderrun

That looks like a great cage for indoor use.

However it might be better to sacrifice some height and add some length...gives the birds a bit more space to stretch their wings after confining themselves to the nest while incubating a clutch of eggs. To me it doesn't matter if the measurements are in centimeters or inches but if I manufactured that same cage I would slice roughly 30 cm/inches from the height and add it to the overall length.

Other things I noticed is that I see neither an entrance gate for you to check on the eggs/babies and no "feeder gates" i.e. gates you open to get to the food and water containers. The type of container I prefer is a round stainless steel cup that you slip onto a stainless steel ring to keep it in place. The ring can easily be attached as part of the manufacturing process. The reason I prefer those particular containers is that they are very easy to keep clean and birds seems to find it nearly impossible to lift it out of the ring and fling it to the floor in a moment of a "temper tantrum". Out of necessity I use a plastic cup that you simply hook into the horizontal bars for extra treats in one of my cages and a particular female makes a game out of it dislodge it and throw it as far as "birdly" possible.

As for the bottom of the cage: is it going to have a removable tray for easy cleaning? If so installing a layer of the same wire you are using elsewhere a few inches above the bottom as a "secondary floor" will make sure any discarded food and droppings will fall through the wire and land on the tray thus reducing the risk of the birds getting into contact with waste material (of special concern if the cage is going to be used to raise fragile chicks).

Besides these few things I pointed out it looks like an absolutely perfect cage for bird-keepers that would prefer to keep their breeding pairs inside.

Wessel
enderunn

Post by enderunn »

Wessel;

Thanks for your detailed comments for my massage. I will take care your opinions.
Please if you have time,comment about the nest box and the cage pictures on the links below.
Thanks a lot with my best wishes

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=19484 (my IRN ex cage)

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=19485 (my IRN nest box)
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Enderunn,

The nest boxes and the cages look fine. I just wish I had you on hand when I had to adapt an old pigeon cage into an IRN cage but I suspect travelling expenses between Turkey and South Africa is a lot more than I can afford.

Wessel
enderunn

Post by enderunn »

Wessel;

thanks for your comment but i dont intend to sell the cages and nest box.
I'm a techology and design teacher.
I feed 6 IRN (3 pairs) at home and I will make the cage for them.
I only want your opinions about the process.
see you.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Enderunn,

I really think you have talent for designing and building that's why I was joking about getting you to help me build an aviary.

There is just one question about the cages you built that intrigues me: what made you decide on the round/semi-circular shape? It is certainly unique and very pleasing on the eye.

Wessel