aviary advice ???

Moderator: Mods

birdbooty

aviary advice ???

Post by birdbooty »

Hi, just wanted information on possibly colony breeding ringnecks. Is this a good idea? The aviary they will be kept in will be 4m x 2m x 2.5m. I was thinking of putting in another type of bird if I should only house one pair of ringnecks.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Donovan

Re: aviary advice ???

Post by Donovan »

If you don't get any responses to this in a couple of days.. repost it in the breeding section and adjust the subject line to something like Aviary advice for breeding.. that will help draw the breeders attention
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Birdbooty,

Colony breeding is indeed possible but it depends on how many ringnecks you have mind for the colony and if there's more or less an equal number of males and females.

From my limited experience with a small flock I noticed that they get incredibly territorial during breeding season and if there's not enough available mates for everyone (and this is certainly worst case scenario but entirely possible) you run the risk of birds actually killing each other.

In my case at one point I had two males and one female sharing a cage after another female died. When breeding season came along the males started attacking each other with the sole purpose of killing each other...and I really mean a fight so physical and intense that not even showering them with water or trying to manually separate them worked. I ended up having to put the male that the female did not prefer in a separate cage for his own safety.

The standard bit of advice I got from several ringneck breeders that I talked to was to always keep breeding pairs isolated precisely for the reasons stated above. Having said that all of the above is simply my experience/opinion and what experienced breeders told me so it's entirely possible that some breeders do successfully breed their birds in a colony setup.

As for the size of the aviary perhaps some of our more experienced owners can give you advice on how many birds you can house in it and possibly which other species of bird will co-exist peacefully with the ringneck colony.

Wessel
birdbooty

Post by birdbooty »

Thanks for advice. I would proberly be looking at 3 breedings double that number for breeding boxes or ive been thinking of putting breeding cages in the back of the aviary so once they they are in the boxes, I can lock them in until breeding season is over. Thanks again. Ill try posting in breeding forum.