Question

Moderator: Mods

Achilles&Percy

Question

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I have 2 male IRNs that are just over a year old. I have an opportunity to get another bird, but it is a female. If I get the female, will they automatically breed? I don't feel confident in my abilities to to raise chicks, but the female bird is a rescue. The female is not quite a year old. I would love to get her, but I won't if it means that now I'm a "breeder". I don't want to ruin my 2 pals by introducing a female, as I have heard that once they start breeding, their personality changes. Any advice will be appreciated!
Mike
InTheAir

Re: Question

Post by InTheAir »

Hi there,

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this, but I'll do my best.

Adding another bird is very likely to change the dynamics of your flock. I can't say what will happen, every bird is different.
If the female bonds with a cock they will probably try to breed
Irns have a pretty strong drive to breed.
Hens seem to get more feisty than cocks.
Outside of breeding season your birds should return to normal, over breeding season they may be more interested in reproducing, protecting nesting areas (even from you) etc... males may have issues/fight over hen. :(

If you are happy with the current dynamic and don't want to breed (considering how many unwanted irns there are out there), taking on a hen may end up being a lot of hard work.

I rather wish I had got a cock instead of a hen as our second bird, and my hen is not even a year old yet.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

Based on my own experience a few years ago having two males and one female in one cage during breeding season isn't a viable option. In my case it was an extra male that was introduced to an established pair and all was well till breeding season came around. The male that was there first literally went after the "intruder" with the sole intent of killing it...not even soaking them or trying to pull them apart physically (stupid move, i know....I have scars to prove it, lol) worked so I had to purchase a second cage and separate the two males.

So in short: do NOT go down the 2 males and 1 female flock-route unless you can house one male separately or indeed start breeding on a small scale and getting the male that the original female didn't like a female of his own.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Yea I was thinking that this would be a bad idea. As luck would have it, the female was taken by another person. It sounds as if I have dodged a bullet. Once again I have received sound advice from this forum. Thanks for your advice. I may be getting another male, a rescue also, the people who have him seem to think he is too noisy. I think I R N's are not noisy at all. I have had Blue Crown Conyers in the past. Now those are LOUD birds!
Mike