Should I wait for next breeding season?

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Should I wait for next breeding season?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I have a grey male that I recently got a grey female for. The plan for them is to have some babies (I want to make it clear I am a hobby breeder and not one that's going to try and breed certain mutations). They have been in the same cage for a few weeks now without any signs of aggression between, but I haven't seen one act of endearment between the two. Would they make a viable breeding couple?

I am thinking of starting their breeding next breeding season to let them first get comfortable with each other and to give me time to finish their aviary. The cage they are in now is way too small for IRN's to breed in but I did successfully breed Sun Conures in that cage.

Any suggestions/remarks.

Wessel
Johan S

Re: Should I wait for next breeding season?

Post by Johan S »

Wessel, ringnecks are much less active in the summer months and don't show much affection towards their partners as this is usually the time for moulting. That will start changing towards the end of autumn. During the early winter the courtship starts and towards middle winter the first birds will start laying all the way into late spring. A flight of 1.8m is sufficient for them. In my opinion they are easier to breed than sun conures, so you are going to manage just fine. Where are you located?
Wessel Gordon wrote:(I want to make it clear I am a hobby breeder and not one that's going to try and breed certain mutations).
If I had a penny for every time I heard that... :D
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Johan,

I am from Petrusburg in South Africa.

Regarding your comment about sun conures: I had a pair (long story but it all started with someone's escaped female that found refuge on our washing line in the middle of winter) that had 7 chicks in about 2 years so either I got very lucky with them or they were prolific breeders.

As for that quoted comment: if you had a penny for every time someone said that on here you would be able to buy out Bill Gates, hehe.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Wessel, how lucky can you get, being from Petrusburg. You're within spitting distance from both Kimberley and Bloemfontein. They are probably the two cities with the highest density of bird breeders. :D
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Johan,

That's very true. I lived in Kimberley for about 30 years so I came to know a few breeders of all kinds of birds. Whenever we need proper groceries we still take a trip to Kimberley instead of Bloemfontein simply because we know the shops etc.