What type of nestbox?

Moderator: Mods

Feathered Friends

What type of nestbox?

Post by Feathered Friends »

I bought a pair of Indian Ringnecks this afternoon, they are a breeding pair and I was wondering if others had found that their pairs like a certain type of box better than others? Any input on what you have had success with is much appreciated as I am new to these guys. Also if anyone knows when their breeding season is in the upper midwest United States (MN) that would be great as well.
Johan S

Re: What type of nestbox?

Post by Johan S »

I prefer using the L-shaped nest boxes. The hens almost always lays their eggs in the part that isn't directly under the entrance hole, so I use that as motivation for myself that they prefer it to normal nest boxes. But, as long as it is dark, they'll be happy.
Feathered Friends

Ok, what kind of nesting material do they like best?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I use wood shavings of untreated wood. I don't like using saw dust, as it is too fine.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

i use 12" x12" x 24" deep boxes and pine shavings available at walmart , petco , or your local agg. center i don't use cedar shavings i was told they are toxic to birds (?) breeding season here in the states starts usually in feb. till june but can be as early as jan. and even late dec.
Feathered Friends

Ok Thank you!