IRN's in qld when does the crazy breeding behavior stop

Moderator: Mods

Tyeman

IRN's in qld when does the crazy breeding behavior stop

Post by Tyeman »

Hi got a pair of irn's here im pretty sure a male and female they have been housed together for a couple years with no problembs. But this breeding season one has started chasing the other a fair bit and they dont have wings so its starting to get a bit dangerous... Im assuming its just a "female chasing the male" behavior because i have caught them flirting a few times.. Hard to tell since they neither has a ring yet... But yea my question is when is this breeding behavior likely to stop?. Or should it have already and they just dont like each other anymore? also is this behavior ever seen in 2 females just trying to figure out whether i have a male or not?
Skyes_crew

Re: IRN's in qld when does the crazy breeding behavior stop

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sounds like you most likely have two females if they've been together a couple of years already and no rings on either one. How old are they? I would also think about maybe separating them before they hurt each other :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

pretty sure they are about 2 years old... they are molting at the moment and i think one might have a ring coming through hard to tell though because its blue the ring is befenintly getting darker but im not sure if its just a darker blue or a black... If they were both females wouldnt they be chasing each other though at the moment its just one doing the chasing plus i have caught them kissing a couple of times would 2 femalses do that?.... I would really hate to seperate them mosts of the time they get along.. It seems like the one doing the chasing just gets random hormonal flushes lol if they are male and female will this stop soon when does breeding season end?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

two males or females can act as a bonded pair- generally speaking, unless you dna or a ring appears there's no way of telling a cock from a hen.

Once the ring starts to appear you will know- it will be of definite colour (ie red, black or white feathering in patches around where the ring forms- it won't just be 'darker'.
Last edited by sheyd on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

hmmm i guess only time will tell.. I checked again this morning and there are definent black ones coming through on the blue one in patches the green one that i was thinking was a female started off with a red patch around its ear ( i read an article that said this is normal genetics if the dad was an african ringneck instead of an indian ringneck) not sure if thats true or not...But now its looking more and more like forming the normal male pink ring part though it has no black pins coming through so i have no idea maybe i have a pair of males? as for the age thing i keep getting told that there is no way to tell until the 3 year mark...although my fist ring neck had a ring at 9 months either way is this chasing behavour bye my green one likely to stop when breeding season is done and dusted because they used to get along fine?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

does sound as though both of their rings are coming through- they should be fine housed together as long as there is adequate space for them to get away from each other- are they in an aviary?
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

no there house trained with a massive play gym so plenty of room they go in a cage when i go out but there never in there for long. bluey is a little bit slower than buddy(green one) though so he/she is recovering from surgery at the moment as green one chased bluey of the highest perch and the fall ended up with 3 tail stitches allot of broken tail feathers and a quiet large vet bill lol the previous owner cut the wings terribly!!!! so there is blankets and padding all over my floor until the wings grow fully because i couldnt stand leaving him/her in the cage screaming.. there like a married couple kissing one minute and having a domestic next
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

in that case I would house each individually- as well as letting them play separately until each regrows their flights. The cage that you have them in should also be large enough that they can have some space of their own should they choose it.
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

yes well if the chasing gets worse i will probablly have to but at the moment ill just be keeping a very close eye on them I was hoping it was just breeding season behavour and it would end soon but i guess if there both males that is unlikely.. full flight is only a few weeks off bye the looks of it anyway..
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

oh and yeah the cage is huge as i dont really beleive in caging companion parrots
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

yes, all of mine are slowly replacing theirs (qld)-

The other thing to keep in mind is that they can get pretty cranky while molting, so some of the aggression could be due to that.

sounds like you're on top of things :)