How long does it take for all eggs to hatch?

Moderator: Mods

Johan S

Re: How long does it take for all eggs to hatch?

Post by Johan S »

Eggs will hatch about 21 days after the hen starts incubating. There is variation in when hens start. Some start immediately, but most of mine starts round about the time of the third egg. Have you candled the eggs? If not, run a google search and browse through the forum to see how it is done.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

The pattern of hatching will be consistent with the pattern in laying, so you are right to expect a chick about every second day. If the hen started incubating late, there is usually a couple of chicks born within hours from one another, and then the later ones follow every second day.

My only advice would be to add more nesting material. If one can see the bottom like that, the chicks run the risk of ending up with splayed legs. The chicks need to rest on the nesting material, not a solid wood/plastic/etc. bottom. You'll find that the hen will not work the nest so vigorously any more. You can also press it down firmly to compact it, otherswise they might still dig themselves in a bit.

This is a very exciting, but also a stressful time first time around. Correction, EVERY time. My nerves have been shot the last month and a half. If you start freaking out, just remind yourself that ringnecks have been raising their own chicks loooong before we were born. Give them enough fresh food and water, and they'll manage just fine 9/10 times. :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

rritoch wrote:I already tried that before the mating and the female intentionally removed the nesting material.
Johan S wrote:You'll find that the hen will not work the nest so vigorously any more. You can also press it down firmly to compact it, otherswise they might still dig themselves in a bit.
You see what I did there? :wink:

Add material one more time and see if she keeps it in this time. The worst that can happen is that I'll stop moaning. :lol:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

That's great news! :D