Breeding Career?

Moderator: Mods

bali727

Breeding Career?

Post by bali727 »

Just a question, can someone make a career, and support themselves(money wise) from breeding and selling IRNs? just wondering, thanks
bali727

Re: Breeding Career?

Post by bali727 »

Hm, interesting. I was just curious..

another question, whats the rarest mutation of an IRN, and how much could it sell for?
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

From what I can see, the answer would be no. At least in Texas. I run one bird mart for our bird club and attend a second. I talk with a couple hundred breeders over the course of the year who breed all sorts of birds.

Ringnecks are popular with those who breed them. But overall, at least over here, they seem to not be main stream in their popularity with those shopping for a pet bird. Those who have them usually love them, those who don’t often comment “those are the loud ones” or “those are the ones that bite” Additionally, very few are ever sold at bird marts even at decent prices.

Breeders on the other hand are always looking, but few are looking for a 1500.00 ringneck and most want 100.00 colors.

This year I have 8 pair set up. I am keeping my babies for future breeding stock and donating various violet combinations to our Botanical Gardens who has several birds on display which our club built cages for and got donated.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
smick

Post by smick »

From ringnecks or one species alone would be dificult. Birds with a set breeding season means you need to be able to sell enough to support yourself for the rest of the year!. If you diverse with other species that can breed all year you would stand a better chance,birds such as conures,eclecus,cockatiels,budgies are a few you may breed alll year and give you a broader market,thanks smick
MissK

Post by MissK »

Let's not forget that most people seem to be looking for bargains these days. Keeping pet parrots is a luxury. Remember what happens to luxuries when money is tight?

-MissK
-MissK
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

My advice, make keeping and breeding of birds a hobby and let the money be a bonus, that way you won't be dissapointed when things go wrong and you will continue the hobby.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I don't breed IRNs, but am starting parrotlets, and just setting up a diversified "stock" has been a pretty penny. In the end, I am doing this more as a hobby, and the any money I get, is just that..extra.