Too Much Feeding Toys

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Too Much Feeding Toys

Post by MissK »

Never thought I would be posting in the breeding section.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Melika

Re: Too Much Feeding Toys

Post by Melika »

Most of what I have read on this subject says the toys that are the object of the bird's affection will need to be removed- most likely permanently.

What types of toys does he have and how does he spend his days? Maybe we can find a way to help you keep him distracted and out of love with his toys.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Melika, and thanks for having a go at this.
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

MissK - my vet advised us to cut down on their diet generally and sugary fruit and veges specifically. The rule of thumb he suggested was 80/20. I'm trying it - not always as successfully as I should... but I will let you know how it goes when we come into breeding season (which I think will be in about September). Although, my problem is a little different, as I mainly want to stop my female from wanting to nest if I can. My two feed each other all year round but only mate around breeding season (other than the first year that they discovered they could do it anyway - They were on holidays at the time at our in-laws... I understand the mah jong ladies never had a meeting quite like that before).

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ellie,

I can see it now- "My WORD, Sarah, What ARE your daughter-in-law's birds DOING in there....?!"

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Unfortunately he didn't give me a list. I've actually been meaning to ask for ideas on this in this forum, just never got around to it. I'm especially trying to minimise fruits (i.e. make them the 20). Veges are hard to know, he said sweet corn, sweet potato, and peas should be in the 20. I guess pumpkin would go in that category too. So I guess that leaves things like squash, mung beans, chilli, spinach, broccoli in the 80?

He also contends that practically all pet birds are overfed (i.e. if you compare their diets to the wild, we overfeed them).

Something else he suggested that I haven't implemented was use a sleeping cage. The idea being that they won't get too attached to one cage and won't want to nest there. I think if I were to implement this, I'd want to get a bigger cage as their sleeping cage, or I'd feel way too guilty on sleep-in days.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

That would be so nice.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Molossus, thanks.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

:?:
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo MissK
Did removing most of Rocky's toys help, did you discover whether you were feeding too much, l think two tablespoons is okay but then l have to add in all the extras l give Billie. I found that cutting down the daylight and electric light did slow her down.
Last year your were talking of the prohibitive cost of Rocky's feeding habits, but l cannot think l spend all that on Billie to worry about the cost of feeding her. What do you think it costs to feed Rocky?
Billie has now laid and egg and her attiude has changed its a pity Rocky cannot have the same experience.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

We live and learn.
-MissK