Do your cats annoy your birds?...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Do your cats annoy your birds?...

Post by Mikaela »

New research just in!

If you have birds and cats, you know how intriqued the two are with one another. It is often difficult to keep your kitty away from your bird.

Well, not anymore! All you have to do is place an orange peel near the birds cage and the cat will COMPLETELY avoid that area, altogether. They despise the smell of an orange peel.

When you moved your birds to their play area, move the orange peel nearby. I read this in an article yesterday and tried it. Works, wish I would have read this 4 months ago when Mrs. Kitty was clinging to the side of Baby's cage getting chunks taken out of her little nose.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

I going to dump a truck load of orange peels in front of my aviaries to stop all the wild cats coming in! The dog is a pretty good protector though. So far the score is cats 0 dog 5.

PS: I will stress again 'wild cats'. Not cute little tabbies but huge mothers that destroy all of the wildlife.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I am like :shock:

It works VERY well, they scat from it.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

can't type.... too busy eating oranges for their peels...
Melika

Post by Melika »

For outdoors you can use cheyanne pepper too. One sniff and they stay away. We used it in the garden to keep the cats from using it as their litter box. Just sprinkle it around the edge of your aviaries.

Orange peels might get... rotten outdoors if it's humid. Otherwise they'll just dry up. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I only worry about Mrs. Kitty around Chief, that little fella is so docile and that beak so mute compared to the girls.

The girls run the cat around the house like they are herding cattle. Very cute and all enjoy it. They nip the kittys tail when she isnt looking *giggle*

I know the kitty doesnt mind though because if she catches them looking at her she will lay down and whip her tail about. Then, when they get close, she sways it in front of them a little and lays in down for them to preen. Wackos.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

When we got a kitten my suns flew down and "preened" it. But now it's old and it eats birds. I'm glad I dont live there anymore. My friend was looking after my sisters birds while they were away on holiday, the cat snuck in and hid under the fouton until my friend left then at my sisters canaries. Pushed the cage over and chased them. Kitty got neutered a few days later.. Well it's not punishment but i can pretend it was. Bad kitty..

I found the pic Image
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The cat gets the best fo the birds?

Oooh now Miss Baby would never allow that. She runs this show. Maybe Miss Kitty is just very tolerant.

Are any of you familiar with the "bobble head doll"? My girls LOVE them, if you know of them or happen to have one, please check it out and see if you think there is any reason (unsafe) why they cant play with them supervised. You may see something I have missed.

PRECIOUS!
Last edited by Mikaela on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

This cat is feral.. It thinks biting is fun. You pick it up -it bites, you play with it- it bites. You wiggle your toes-it bites. And claws

My other cat is the most behaved cat in the world, I would have no problem with it in the same room as my birds. My birds arent scared. But feral is just too well... feral..
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Cat saliva (ALL cat saliva) has germs that are deadly to birds...

While we only think of this as an issue if the cat were to bite or mouth the bird, the fact of the matter is cats groom themselves, and their fur has the germs in it.

I never let the birds groom the cats, its just too dangerous and I don't want to take that chance.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

What Mazziesmom said... cats do carry harmful bacteria for birds.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

apart from that photo the one day we first got the kitten I didnt let them near the cat.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Neokireina:

Thank you for telling me to whistle to Chief, now he is 'hearing me'.

He didnt really respond to speech as my girls do. He turns that little head from side to side and moves his little bearded mouth *giggle* too cute.

Also, although I spent weeks checking if his batteries were low, he finally started moving... like to play! Not just from eating to sitting to sleeping. He has the cuuuutest little whistles, will they get much louder? They are very nice right now, even husband enjoys the sound.

As far as Kittys:

My Miss Kitty is a 'scardy cat' She is curious of the bird but runs when Baby comes near her. If she doesnt run *CHOMP* on the tail and Baby struts off in victory. Now if the new kittys want to mess with her, noooo way. I hear it takes only a trace amount of that saliva to make them very sick, much more can cause death.
~ Mikaela Sky