painting bird cages

Moderator: Mods

jeannier

painting bird cages

Post by jeannier »

I have two cages that are getting rusty. Is there paint out there that is safe so I can repaint them?
Jeannie
Melika

Post by Melika »

This might help a litte. http://www.eartheasy.com/blog/2009/03/bird-safe-paints/

I don't have any experience painting bird cages, but I imagine it's a temporary fix. Unless you can get someone to sandblast and do that baked on job lol.

Sorry no one replied to you sooner. ^^;
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Fah

Post by Fah »

I use what the local aviaries and the zoo here uses on their cages.

Its a water based, non toxic paint designed to go on mesh (bird, or other styles) and metal surfaces.

Its called Dulux Weathershield (or weatherguard). Its also one of the few 'true' black paints that dont fade into blue/grey as it ages.

It expands with heat, shrinks with cold, just as the metal work its on does slightly, and it flex's with mesh so pushing on it etc constantly doesnt crack it...

I have heard other brands make safe paints, but if the professionals here use it, I will use it hehe.

Now.. what you need to do.

You need to sand the metalwork back anywhere there is rust. Then either use sugar soap or vinegar and a brush to give it a serious scrub. Once that is done you need to rinse it completely with water and let dry (towel dry the bulk off preferably).

Once you have done that apply two thin coats (dont water down the paint, just dont lather it on).

Follow the drying time guide and your set to go.

Hope that helped.
jeannier

Post by jeannier »

Thanks for the information. I will go and see if I can find any paint that is ok. I did buy a different cage, so I can experiment on these ones. LOL
Jeannie