How can I tell a young boy from a girl????

Moderator: Mods

Angel

How can I tell a young boy from a girl????

Post by Angel »

Hello, my name is Cristi, i'm from Romania and i have a question.. I really want to buy a IRN, but I really really want a young male.. I've looked everywhere and I can't find out how can I tell wheather a young IRN is a boy or a girl. There must be a way to find out.. Will you help me?? :cry:
hodad66

Post by hodad66 »

I hear that they can do a DNA test.......... otherwise the ring doesn't show for 11/2 to 2 years :roll:

Post by Guest »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello

Male Ringnecks are smaller and skinnier in general. Males walk more like cockatiels and budgies. Female Ringnecks are thicker and walk more like Amazons or Macaws. Also, the male Ringneck has feet that are thinner and a female Ringneck's feet are thicker; mainly the toes. Female Ringnecks keep their feet farther apart on perches than males. The facial shape of the female is more round, while the male is more oval and elongated. So, to sum things up, if you see a husky Ringneck chances are it might be a female. Males are smaller and not as thick.

But, these are just my ways of sexing Ringnecks. Like hodad66 said, DNA is your best bet for 100 accuracy. Hope this helps!

Best wishes, :wink:

I.C.
Last edited by ringneck on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you, I will try to keep that in mind... :o
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

NP. I glad to be of assistance for you :wink:
Peter

Males Display; females don't

Post by Peter »

Males use display even before they develop the definative ring around neck. Thins like lawn mowers, cars, aeroplanes, etc (loud engine noises) passing the aviary usually set the male off into a display. They will sing out and pout, they will walk their ropes and perches with their chest stuck out and wings spread and fluctuate the dilation in their eyes (it looks stupid, but that's what the males do! - the look very silly trying to outsize an aeroplane going overhead, believe me! :roll: )...My boy "Blue" does this and he doesn't have a defined ring yet at 2years old. It can take up to nearly 2.5 years before they molt into their adult plumage.
ringneck
Site Admin

Sexing a ringneck

Post by ringneck »

peter good point! I never thought about that!

Best Wishes

I.c. :wink:
pinkpinky1

Post by pinkpinky1 »

ringneck is that pic of a female ringneck? im looking for a pic of a green indian ring neck to see if i have a female.