My Indian RingNeck Chews her tail feathers...

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

sunshine1975

My Indian RingNeck Chews her tail feathers...

Post by sunshine1975 »

Hi...
just curious of something.....my Indian Ringneck cleans herself alot and it's to the point she chews her tail feather to shreds....
Is this a normal thing or is she sick or something else?

Can someone please help..??
thefreerider

Post by thefreerider »

It could be a couple of things (although I dont claim to be an expert so if your worried see a vet!)
It could be the usual boredom thing, if the bird is bored, depressed or upset then it could well be that. Monitor whats happening around your bird when it happens.

Failing that it could be something in the air....maybe an air freshner or perhaps somebody smoking....if there's something toxic in the air it can stick to plummage and cause excess preening.

All birds preen tail feather regularly but if it's to the point where theyre breaking them or pulling them out something is wrong.

As I said if it's getting bad go get an expert opinion, it will be worth it in the long run!
daniele

Re: My Indian RingNeck Chews her tail feathers...

Post by daniele »

my irn does this also and it is very distressing. what to do? we have four birds and she is our 'problem child' as i like to call her. her bum will bleed with regularity because she's chewed at it.. because it irritates her.. because it's habit.. because it's psychological.. who knows???? for whatever reason it occurs how do you stop it??????? my vet even looked into amputating that is how munted her poor little bottom is.. the horror! we're thinking about having one of those 'bucket' ring things put on her neck so that she can't chew at it and it's got a chance to heal itself... but.. how the hell is she going to preen the rest of her feathers???? and will she hate us forever if we do that to her?