All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

Recipies - Long thread!

Moderator: Mods

ryelle

Recipies - Long thread!

Post by ryelle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 am

i bought a rat book called 'The scuttling gourmet' because one of my rats is on a diet, and i wanted to find more interesting things to give them. the book is really good. it has recipies in for rat's, but i believe they are easily adjustable for birds if they need adjusting. ill post a few if anybody wants to try them. i made a cake the other day and it went down well. the recipies are for 25-35 rats (thats a hell of a lot of rats) so the ones im writing i have halved the ingredients, although they should be easy to increase or decrease as needed.

** All measurements are in ounces or grams, not both, im not clever enough to convert them into the opposite. so sorry :? **

'Rat' Cake / Fid Cake (i made this cake, and i halved the ingredients that im writing here, and it made enough for two rats and a fid (cut into 8ths) to have a nice piece each. was enough for two days with 1 piece each and some left over.)

6oz rat food (adjust)
2oz olive oil (some of this can be substitued with cod liver oil or salmopet)
2 large eggs
3oz self raising wholemeal flour
3oz sweetcorn
milk (only a tiny bit needed, if any)
Sunflower seeds - or try dried fruit, nuts, cornmeal, porridge oats.

Mix together with milk to make thick porridge consistency and put into a large greased lined baking tin and cook Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F for 1 hour or until set (should only take about 15-30 mins depending how much you make)

Plain Biscuits (if you like, you can add bits of fruit or vegetables)

3 cups wholemeal flour
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup soya milk

Beat the egg and then whisk in the soya milk and oil. Stir in the flour until you have a firm dough. Knead a little then roll into sheets that are around 1cm thick. Place onto a baking tray and cook for abou 50minutes at Gas Mark 3, 170°C, 325°F. When cooked and hardened, cool a little then cut into small squares. Keep in an airtight container.

Scones
100g self raising flour
1tbsp soya margarine
soya milk
2 tbsp selected ingredient (see suggestions below)

1. Rub the soya margarine into the flour until it resembles fine bread-crumbs.
2. Add enough soya milk to form a dough.
3. Add selected ingredient.
4. Work dough for a few minutes with the selected ingredients in (helps to evenly distribute the ingredients)
5. Roll out and cut into shapes.
6. Bake in preheated oven Gas Mark 8, 450°F, 230°C until turning golden.

Suggested ingredients:

1 Apple, grated
1 carrot, grated
2 tbsp peas
1 banana, mashed
2tbsp dried fruit (check what they have been preserved in)
or any other favourites

Veggie Burgers

Chop or grate all your fid's favourite veg, mix it together with grated wholemeal breadcrumbs, garlic and a beaten egg to bind. Put small spoonfulls into a frying pan to cook. (use a tiny bit of olive oil if necessary).

Stuffed Peppers

Slice the top off a pepper and carefully remove the seeds and white pith. Stuff with a fid friendly filling, such as cooked rice and vegetables. Either serve raw or bake for approximately 30mins in a fairly hot over (Gas Mark 5, 190°C, 375°F). Serve whole to a large colony (you may need to make more than one depending on how many birds you have) or cut in half / quaters for smaller groups.

Stuffed Apple

Take an apple and cut the top off, then scoop out the inside (like you do with a pumpkin). Cut up other yummy fruit and veg, then take some cereals (cornflakes, weetabix, oats) and mix together with the yummy food and a little water. Stuff the filling into the apple and feed to your fids.

theres a few more, but i dont want to make this thread too long! if any of you give them a try, let us know how they turned out, what you added in, and if your fids loved them.

have fun!

Bella

Post by Bella » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 am

These are great ill have to go shopping for some ingredients soon :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)

bec

Post by bec » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:13 am

wow they sound good & just in time for school holiday activities

ryelle

Post by ryelle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 am

lol yeah, get the kids to join in and make a massive mess :D mess is always fun lol. i forgot about the holidays. cant wait ^_^

bec

Post by bec » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 am

they may make a massive mes but at 13,16,&18 they can make a massive neatness too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well in theory anyway :cry:

ryelle

Post by ryelle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:30 pm

lmao! doesnt always work. im 20 and my house is a tip. my mam whinges every time she comes over. i always decide to bake just after iv cleaned my kitchen too :?

nil

Post by nil » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:45 pm

they looks delicious ryelle :)
when i find time i ll try some of these.
lmao! doesnt always work. im 20 and my house is a tip. my mam whinges every time she comes over. i always decide to bake just after iv cleaned my kitchen too

hmm a mother looks me better than a wife :)

ryelle

Post by ryelle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm

hahaa im sure you dont really mean that :P

Goild1945

Re: Recipies - Long thread!

Post by Goild1945 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 pm

There are lot of books are available which provide the lot of information regarding the various available dishes and many people always try to make some different type of recipies which can be found on the https://write-my-essay.online/how-to-ma ... onger.html site book where many people always read different type of techniques for the writing.