talking irns

Moderator: Mods

colettec2000

talking irns

Post by colettec2000 »

HI everyone,
Is it the norm for irns to start talking when they are 6 months old? Is it ok if they start later, if they are going to talk? Mine has been doing some mumbling, but no word yet. He is 6 months old. He just turned 6 months old on Tuesday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:roll:
COLETTE
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

that is really down to the bird. some never talk due to over handling. the best talkers are usually the ones that r left in there cages. so u have to ask yourself do u want a chatty bird or a tame bird that talks a little
colettec2000

talking irns

Post by colettec2000 »

HI,
Good point!! I would rather have a tame bird.
I could never leave him in his cage all the time.
I'm so used to him being out with me when i'm home.
He is only in his cage when i'm at work or not at home :wink:

Thanks,
COLETTE
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Darn, now I am torn. My baby is usually out with me. She is in her cage maybe 10 hours a day TOPS! But I want a chatty baby. Hrm. Have to rethink some of this.

She would actually prefer to be in her cage more. She has lots of fun in there. Think I may pay her too much attention.
Lynne Watts

talking IRN

Post by Lynne Watts »

Leaving them in the cage doesn't guarantee you'll get a talking bird, you may end up with a screaming bird instead. I'd continue with the attention and out of cage time and hope for some words. My IRN said hello and barked like a dog before he was 8 months old and later learned to say his cage mates name Leah, but that's all he ever learned.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

My indian ringneck is a wonderful talker and he is with me about 5-6 hours a day. He talks really well, and so does his brother, who is with his owner almost 11 hours a day. Let me tell you, he talks REALLY well! It's almost scary! Keeping them in a cage does not promote talking, rather it hinders them.

Most people believe that keeping them confined to a cage will only make them want to communicate, in turn, making them talk more. This is not true.

A happy healthy ringneck will try to learn as much as he/she can to communicate with you and impress you. Just use different words and talk to him like a child. I promise, he/she will pick up words faster than an IRN left in a cage.

Hope this helps and good topic:D

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry