to be semi free ?or not to be?

Moderator: Mods

rocketsmummy

to be semi free ?or not to be?

Post by rocketsmummy »

i have had my baby rocket for two weeks now and we seem to be bonding well. :D id love for him to walk around outside with me (on my shoulder) he has his wing clipped ,would this be okay could i train him to stay with me rather than trying to flap away or get distressed? do others here have thier IRNS outside for a stretch or change of scenery un caged? i do remember my gran having a magpie that was happy to be with her outside,but he only had one leg and he thought he was a dog lol she had him outside from the getgo.if so how should i introduce him to it and to stay with me? :?:
leo

hi

Post by leo »

to me, i didnot dare bring tango out, even he is clipped,( now he is semiclipped, hecan still fly, but don't gain hight in the flight...

to me, outside is too dangerous, there is cats, dogs, and bird of pray...
unflight birdy in the enclosed room, can fly outside once it catch gust of wind, so, ya...just be extra careful...

8 weeks old baby is learning to fly, for tango, in this period of time, he tryto fly alot...so, can he wild...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

As leo said there are so many dangers for a pet bird outside, not just the risk of flying away. Alot of members take their birds out, but its monitored time, carefully watched in gardens that are protected.

I do sometimes, but my IRN's always seem so frightened and our wattle birds dive bomb relentlessly. So its only at particular times of the day and usually in the front tree covered courtyard secure from neighbourhood cats that could be lurking, watching.

You can get flight suits, some members do this. Its really up to the bird, your area, and if you want to risk it or not.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Melika

Post by Melika »

We have six foot tall fences and dogs to keep the cats out when we have the birds outside with us. I am constantly on the watch for hawks!

You have to be extremely alert.

On the shoulder isn't so great, as you can't stop him from jumping off if he is frightened- possibly even into a dog's mouth or cats waiting paws. If you want to go on walks around the neighboorhood, a flightsuit or harness is good protection, as you can keep him from trying to fly off.

Birds, especially small ones, will take off when something scares them, as flight is their natural response to danger. It's not something you can really train out of them as it is purely instinct.

When I have the birds on my hand, I place my thumb over a foot so they can't fly off. It seems to also reassure them that I'm hanging on and they seem less frightened.

Going outside is important, but if you can't do it safely when he's free he should be inside a cage when he's outdoors.

We have to carefully monitor their wings as well, as even with just one or two primary feathers they can fly quite well.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

Thanks guys,
i did take him on the back patio b4 and let him just sit on me,he did seem a little scared or unsure. most days durring the day i put him outside under patio (his cage is on a stand) only when im home and as a saftey precaution i put my dog molly out with him becuase she HATES CATS! and then i can be sure he is ok! i think i will just do as you guys say and sit his cage out with me in the garden ect. i think sunlight and fresh air are very very important to health. :D thanks