Boy or girl???

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Boy or girl???

Post by carrie »

Ringneck - you mentioned that you are pretty good at picking the sex. What do you think? I have a feeling he is a girl!

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello carrie,

What a beautiful ringneck! You’re right on the money about the sex! It is a female. I am 90% sure by the photos, and picture number 2 gave it away for sure. Nice photos.

How old is she? Does she talk yet? Is she handfed? How did you deal w/ her bluffing? Can you trust her and does she bite and draw blood?

Sorry about asking so many questions, I love to hear about peoples ringnecks and how they deal w/ them. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks ringneck - you have confirmed my suspicions. The pet shop thought it was a boy but considering I had never even heard of this breed before it doesn't really bother me either way.

You would have read in my other posts that she is going through the bluffing stage now - biting my ears, lips etc. She is about 7-8 months old and has just had a moult - hence the lack of tail feathers! When I took her to the vet for a once over he said that she was in fantastic shape apart from some feather damage - either from the breeder or the pet shop. All her feathers had black on the tips - but now that she has new ones she is looking beautiful and sleek. Just her wing feathers are still a bit marked. I can't wait for the new tail feathers to come through!

Personality wise - apart from the bluffing - she is great. The only time she is in her cage is to sleep at night - the rest of the time she is on her playgym - or on the couch! Has to be involved in everything we do. Comes into the kitchen at dinner time demanding her meal! She has a little bit of our dinner - usually steamed vegies, pasta, rice - whatever is going at the time. Screams her head off when not getting any attention. MUST clean herself on me and then fall asleep a couple of times a day, and loves a bath. Before I got her I had never even touched a bird before but now I am smitten. It has been an enormous learning curve so far but it has been worth every bit.

Sorry for raving on but I really do adore this bird - even though she can be a devil at times! :twisted: When she attacks her toys, or runs after me when I have food, or practices her wolf whistle when she thinks she's alone, it just cracks me up! Thanks again for your opinion - the boys do look stunning with their rings but I still love my bird anyway. I will keep you posted on her progress.
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi Ringneck,

I am just curious, how do you tell from picture 2 that she is a girl?

Regards
Doremon

Post by Guest »

Hello Carrie,

Most female ringnecks strut around like that, kind of how bull frogs blows up to look stronger. By her characteristics, especially her forehead, I can guesstimate the sex.
I’ll explain—read below.

Here are the features that I leaned over the years. Hope this helps. This is only for ringnecks that are 3 years an under.

Males are shaped more like parakeets. Their feet are thin and their coloring is much more vibrant. Males usually sit with their feathers more relaxed. The forehead will extend outward and the skull is more elongated. The beak is also more prominent and sits lower on the skull. The males always keep their feathers looser around the cheek which gives them a flamboyant look (when relaxed). Because of these relaxed feathers around the face, the males have a lazy appearance around their eyes, while females have large circle eyes.

(MALE)

Females are meaty and more Amazon shaped. Their feet are thick and their coloration is a slight bit duller. Females almost always keep their feathers tight unless they are preening. The forehead is less prominent and the beak sits higher on the skull. The face shape is more circular, while the male’s is more oval. The feathers around the female’s cheek are tighter.

(FEMALE)

Another way to sex them is through behavior. Females will tilt their head back and pin their eyes when being petted. Males will bow with their wings slightly open and do a hop.

Hope this helps. :wink:
I.C
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi! Thanks for the information even though I think I will still not be able to tell the male from female physically. I guess it might be because I don't currently own a female IRN. I have a male IRN and indeed he likes to bow with the wings slightly open and the hopping!

Cheers!
Doremon
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well that confirms it - she does the head tilt and pinning thing when she's getting a pat (although not as much lately seeing as she's usually cranky!!!). Now I'll have to stop saying "good boy" before she learns to say it! Thanks so much for the info.
Carrie

Post by Guest »

Hi:

Here's 2 pics of my IRN - "he" is about 8-9 months old now. Do you reckon it is a boy?...

Thanks!

Regards
Wlgspotter

Post by Guest »

That is 99% chance that’s a boy! I am almost sure that’s a boy!

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

I.C.

Very nice photos! May I use them for this site? Carrie can I use your photos as well?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

lol..i posted as a guest again..darn! LoL!! :wink:
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi ringneck:

I also forgot to log in using my id. In fact, it was my husband who logged in to ask the question. I noticed that very often I have to log in twice to get the id 'registered' in the system.

Anyway, yes, you may use the photos of Hoogie for your website - we're really honoured!

:P :lol: :shock:

Regards
Doremon
carrie

Post by carrie »

I can see the difference now - especially in the first photo with the shape of the head. And of course you can use my photos - it would be a pleasure - although I think doremon's are much better than mine!
Carrie

boy or girl

Post by guest »

My guess is that it's a boy, though l'm no expert so here is a photo of my Ringneck Mylo,you can see many more on my hompage at www.fluffies.org if you are interested :D My name is Greg Sujecki from Melbourne.[img]http://www.users.bigpond.com/gregsuj/photos/mylo_2_resize.jpg[img][/img][/url]

try again

Post by guest »

oops here it is still learning:Image

Post by Guest »

hiw young can you tell if its male or female (i mean b4 the ring comes) I have a baby (6 wks old) I dont really care either way, but i do wonder :-)
colettec2000

sexing irns

Post by colettec2000 »

HI,
I am going to try to post some pics of my irn. He/she is 5 months old. If this works, could someone try to tell me what they think he/she is?

Thanks, :wink: [url]http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/427c2b8ezf75f1839/24fb/_tn_52fs.jpg?phSdrtCBXs_ypRq8[/url]
COLETTE
Tiki

Boy or Girl???

Post by Tiki »

Ringneck:

In response to my earlier posting you said Tiki looked like a young female.
I had a DNA test ran by plucking about 5 feathers from Tiki and sending it to this website: http://www.avianbiotech.com/Index.htm. The results came back saying Tiki is a boy, however the breeder says he thought Tiki was a girl and you too thought Tiki was a girl. Here are some more recent pictures taken four days ago. Today Tiki turned 11 weeks old.

Sorry, this one is a little blurry:

Also, here is one more, but it is from about 2 weeks ago, so Tiki is about 9 1/2 weeks old in this picture.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Very interesting indeed! I look at your ringneck and I am almost positive it’s a girl. She is really shaped like a female. I just don’t see any male characteristics.

Although on my part, I could be wrong because I am not one to argue w/ DNA sexing; however, to me your ringneck looks really femalish*. But I wonder if that test was not handled correctly?

You said that she tilts her head back and pins her eyes. That is female behavior. Males will bow and pin their eyes.

Anyhow, this is very interesting! But I guess we’ll have to wait three years to get the final answer! Ah, the waiting begins. :wink:

Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Best wishes,

I.C.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

colettec2000

Your link did not work:(

I.C.

Mylo

Post by Guest »

you can check out my website to see a few more Mylo pic's which l'll be updating soon.http://www.users.bigpond.com/gregsuj :)
selma

Post by selma »

hi ringneck

can u tell what sex our baby bibou is. we think he's a boy but now we're not so sure.
Also we got bibou a month ago but we don't know his age. can you tell from the pics?
Tiki

A few more pics of Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Well I contacted Avian Biotech and they said I could have Tiki retested for free. I am taking Tiki to the vet on the 8th (they lost his original blood work) so I am going to see if the vet will put some of Tiki's blood into the vile for the DNA testing and I can have it retested. The original results are saying Tiki is a male and you were saying Tiki looked like a female, but here are two more pics of him:
Image Image
He looks two different colors in these pictures, but that is because the picture on the left I didn't use the flash. The picture on the right is his true coloring where I did have the flash on - you can tell because of his shadow. Anyways, it is the same bird.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

I can understand the colour fact,for when l take photo's of Mylo depending on the light he can be blue in good light,greyer in shade and tad's of green in certain angles. :? either way they still look good.just thought l would mention that for l to wondered how come :?: Must be the pigmentation in the feathers maybe. :)
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
Libby_D

Post by Libby_D »

Harley bows his head when i pet him, he's only a baby. Does that still consiter "male" behavior or just "baby" behavior?
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

both males and females do similar things but with slight differences. the female will stay on the same spot fix her pupils and maybe make a speaky noise. i think males tend to hop around or sumthing like that. i have only ever seen these trates in sexaully active IRN's i dont kno how old they start it at. how old is your IRN?
Libby_D

Post by Libby_D »

Harley is one month old TODAY actually.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

Mylo hops around in a downward fashion,with his?pupils dillated and wings slightly out then will say either "hello" or" good bird"sometimes he? mumbles something which is exciting,for l know he's trying to say something new just don't know yet,though it is exciting.Time will tell his new word,just hope it is something he has learned in good manner not something l said when l didn't want him to hear it :lol:
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Greg,

Sounds like you got a male. :wink:

I should make a sexing article for people can read it .:D It would help many:) Hope everyone had a happy 4th!
Lisa's Tiki

Hi Ringneck.......

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Can you look at the pictures of Tiki (7 post up) where he looks two different colors....... Do you still think Tiki looks like a girl? I am taking Tiki back to the vet on Friday, because his blood work was lost in the mail and I am going to ask the vet for a little of Tiki's blood so I can send it back into Avian Biotech for a retest.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

Hi Ringneck,making a sexing article would be great in my opinion,how's thing's anyway with your RN :D
Billit

Help! Is this boy or girl?

Post by Billit »

Can anybody determine the gender of my green ringneck?
Please help.
Here are the photos:
Image Image
Image Image
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I would have to say you have a boy, because of his high beak and his eyes. How old is He/She?

The beak is high and flat, whereas girls tend to have lower beaks that pertrude out more.

Knowing the age would really help. Looks like a ring is trying to come in.
Billit

Post by Billit »

Mikaela wrote:I would have to say you have a boy, because of his high beak and his eyes. How old is He/She?

The beak is high and flat, whereas girls tend to have lower beaks that pertrude out more.

Knowing the age would really help. Looks like a ring is trying to come in.

Hi Mikaela, my rickneck is 6+ months (going 7 months). He's too young to have a ring. I thought it will appear on the 18th month, am i right?

I will get a Grey Hen for him.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yes, you are right. The ring come when they reach maturity... usually by 18 months.

I'd put money on it being a boy though, the beak is very pronounced with boyish characteristics (higher and flatter than a girls).
skibum

male or female

Post by skibum »

Hi,
This is Max and he generally sits around a little puffball of feathers all fat around the face so on that basis he sounds like a "he" but when being patted he squashes down and tilts his head a tiny bit - although I think that is because he hates it at the moment...
Any ideas?
Stu
[/img]C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart\My Documents\My Pictures\Olympus Camera\house[\img][/img]
skibum

max

Post by skibum »

Woops, didn't put that pic in right
never mind
not important
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yeah, the pic cant be on your hard drive, it must be on a web link like photobucket for example. Then you can copy/paste/post.
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Okay, I guess Tiki is a boy, because even though he is almost 6 months old, just the other day I noticed that between his cheeks and beak where the dark black part of the ring is suppose to be, his feathers have turned to a grayish black; showing what looks like the beginning of a ring. I will try and get a close up picture and see if it comes out clear enough to tell what I am talking about.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

females can also develop a light paley type of ring as well.
selma

Post by selma »

Recently i've noticed what appears to be the start of a ring around bibou's neck. We've always assumed he was a boy since that is what we were told. We were hoping he was a boy since he learnt to say: 'What a good boy' However he seems to be a lot more attached to my husband than me which is really annoying since i'm the one who takes care of him all the time. So i sort of started hoping it was a girl because maybe that would explain why he preferred the male in the house. So i was a little disappointed when i saw the ring but now since you say females can also have a faint ring maybe it's a girl after all since the ring is very faint. Then again the males are supposed to make better pets, isn't it? Agh i don't know what i want bibou to be. i think i'll just wait and see and accept him the way he is. :roll:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Selma, my biggest girl Peek-a-Boo has a ring. Lets compare? It isnt red though, just a lighter green, is that how your bird looks? She is 2

*looks through pics where her rings shows*
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane has a little greyish ring, but I'm not holding my breath yet. I've seen females with the faint grey too when they're young.

You know, birds are funny. If you get jealous of another human because the bird spends more time with that person than you, the bird will spend even more time with that person. And if you try to hog your bird, your bird won't want to be around you. Odd, isn't it? Dogs will do that too. That helps keep me in check and helps make sure my dog and bird are family animals that love me more, LOL.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
selma

Post by selma »

Melika, i wouldn't say i was jealous of my husband. Bibou is a family bird but wouldn't it be great if the object of bibou's affection would clean his cage now and then or at least feed him once in a while? :lol:
I've just read somewhere that they don't always become attached to the primary caregiver. So at least i know it's not something i'm doing wrong. Have to say though when Dad goes away on a trip Bibou seems to forget all about him. When he's around Bibou likes to sit in his bathroom and watch him shave.

Michaela i will try to get a pic of bibou where the ring is clear. It does look a bit greyish/reddish. But as Melika says it could be a female trait.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yeah, my biggest girl has a very prodominant ring but it is simply a pale green whereas her body is a very dark vivid green.
~ Mikaela Sky

Billit

Re: Help! Is this boy or girl?

Post by Billit »

Billit wrote:Can anybody determine the gender of my green ringneck?
Please help.
Here are the photos:
Image Image
Image Image

Here are some new pictures of Bruno.
his neck has a little black part... not so dark.
he is enjoying his food.
he's trying his new water bottle..hehehehehehe.
Melika

Post by Melika »

That's like the ring hane has. Am I allowed to be hopefull? lol.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
surferdon

Boy OR girl

Post by surferdon »

This bird was born in may 2005 and is very quiet. although i have only had the bird for three weeks. I cant come up with a name, so if i know if this is a boy or girl it might help.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Doremon,
Your ringneck is BEAUTIFUL! And very nice pics. Yours too Carrie! Love the pix!

Jen
Jade

Post by Jade »

Chook started to get a couple of orange feathers around the back of his head before any black appeared. I remember the first orange feather I saw when I was tickling him. I thought it was blood and freaked out. Then I thought that something must have stained his feather. Then over a couple of weeks, a few more appeared.

He still only has about 10 - 15 seperate orange feathers dotted around the back of his neck but now has a little hitler 'mow' under his beak but hasn't extended.

Chook turned 2 on 10 September.