food and housing

Moderator: Mods

Occy

food and housing

Post by Occy »

well I moved Jack to a smaller cage. I had him in that big cage I showed you all but its far too big - it will be ideal for an eccy or a cockatoo later but he was getting trapped here and there and though he loved the cage it was just that much too big

so he is now in a 90cm X 50 X 50 cage - he freaked out at first - got cranky but is now ok.

I have his seed mix in a bowl - seeds, fruit, nuts, chilli pellets, pellets, etc and a bowl of water

i had two but he kept standing on one and its not stable enough - will need to get bowls with screws instead of hangers.

I have a bowl with grapes in it too - he loves them

I have a metal kebab skewer with carrots, apple, brocolli and grapes on it - I will change it tomorrow along with the other bowls - he seems to have the vegetables and eaten the fruit

what about tomatoes - are they any good?

he comes out of his cage daily for a couple of hours but now that he doesnt have feeders he flies about or goes for a wander - he likes to see what is going on

he isnt aggressive - well not too bad - i get nibbled if i try to pat too much but does enjoy company and has started chattering occasionally. he loves to sit on the curtain railing the separates the lounge and bedrooms - but i have a towel under him because he enjoys taking a few craps while up there too

I also have some baby - oh whats that stuff called - somewhere between lettuce and parsley lol - i had some in my salad today - he can keep it :p

theres a cuttle bone in there - he is scared of it i think - and a swing

'its pretty crowded but so long as I dont move stuff around too much he settles well.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

No cage is ever too big. Just make sure Jack gets alot of 'out of cage time'. Sounds like hes a spoiled birdy! There is a sticky that tells you what to feed and what not.
Above the curtians is my 2 terrors fave spot. The poops get really annoying thats why I got a cage with a playgym ontop. But Gilbert wont sit on it anymore. Its Yodas! :roll:
Ive noticed Gilbert doesnt like his stuff moved around. He freaks out if I move something in his cage. He likes to know where everything is.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Occy

Post by Occy »

probably right about the cage and the poo in the curtains. This cage has an open top and a perch to go on it - but the other had food on the perch. when i have some money Ill probably get a birdy gym as well - right now ive discovered major problems with my rental and dont know what im going to do - sigh
Occy

Post by Occy »

well further success with feeding - he is attacking the apple with vehemence seems to love his carrots and carrot tops - dutch carrots. I added some hot chilli's - he is yet to try them - he has chilli pellets - for birds - in his food bowl - theyre too big for him at this stage i think

He has grown a bit since I got him - would be about 16 weeks old now

he had to nut out how to move from one place to the other in the cage because i moved a couple of things for my convenience - i may get rid of the swing in he doesnt use it and it takes up valuable space

will takes pics later

he is getting cleaner - i try to spray him daily so he grooms himself - i take the opportunity and spray the fruit/veg kebab even though i change that every 1-2 days

he still loves his seed block - far more than seed in a bowl and he has finally started to use the huge cuttle bone but only cause he had to climb over it to get where he wanted to go (so decided to take a nibble)

He isnt terribly messy but im still changing the paper every couple of days and needing to vacuum every 2-3 days
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

True, no cage is ever too big... bearing in mind the very important rule of: Bar Spacing CAN NOT safely be more than one half inch apart (.5 inch).

Any larger spacing leads to death and injury.
~ Mikaela Sky

Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Boy I wish that I had known about the bar spacing before I spent $254 on a beautiful cage - bars too wide apart and birdie nearly got out!! Now this cage stands empty and I am trying to sell it because I don't want to get any more birds and equally I don't want to put bird wire right around the cage, will make it look crappy (sorry about the word).
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

:idea: I think you should get more birds
That is what I do when I have an inch of extra space! :roll:

The trouble maker :twisted:
MCS
Occy

Post by Occy »

yea the gap on the other cage is 3/4 of an inch

he has started to squeak since being in the new cage - I wonder if that has anything to do with the house change

he is also eating chili's now - but is getting a little aggro with me so Im wondering if that has to do with new food types.

I took the swing out of the cage today put it on the side of the cage. I went to put him where he normally like to be but he flew back to the cage not long after - might be the weather - its very windy and there was a big storm over night

he is looking a bit furry - i hope that means he is about to moult
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They are just sooo playful, like little two yr olds. They get their little head hung in the bars playing like dorkies.

Then they freak.

Panic, flutter, break wing or neck.

Bar spacing is so very important. :)
~ Mikaela Sky