IRN's Stubborn??

Moderator: Mods

MonknSharona

IRN's Stubborn??

Post by MonknSharona »

Hello there. I posted a couple of weeks ago about Posey, our new Indian Ringneck. I know she's only been here almost two weeks but she seems to be the most difficult breed I've had to try to tame. I understand that she's very scared still and very flighty and I can't blame her. This is her forth home in her two little years of life. I think this makes me back off of her more; I have more pitty for her so I give her even more space and time.

I guess what I'm wondering is if this breed is especially stubborn or difficult to tame? I'm willing to give her as much time as she needs, just thought I'd ask. When we got our Eclectus, she was ready to play and be handled the night she got here. :) She had just turned 1 and had not been handled much before. It took her about 3 days to get used to petting and handling. I know this is an entirely different situation than with Posey, the RN, but thought I'd ask. Any hints and tips would be appriciated too. I'm trying to go slow, taking baby steps, so to speak. So far, to have her just sit on the finger for an entire minute is an advancement. She just gets so scared and tries to fly away. She does rather enjoy being on the shoulder and will scramble to get up there, then she is OK. But as far as being able to pet or handle her, she's still very unsure of everything.

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

personally, i think ringnecks (especially older ones) are difficult to get them to settle. and the females can definately be stubborn! it sounds to me like you are doing well if you can get her on your hand after only two weeks. ringnecks respond well to treats, so find a food that she loves and hand feed it to her. sunflower seeds are popular with my birds. sometimes they will take it from you but not eat it, but just keep trying.

good luck and dont give up! it sounds like posey needs someone like you to give her a fresh start. im sure you will be well rewarded!
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

i had the same trouble with my IRN. he was so frighted of me. but during the second day he got out of the cage and realy started to hurt himself so i had him cliped and nw he just sits out side on top of his cage and goes in when ever he wants. he is no longer the scared bird he was a couple of weeks ago. he is currently going through the "bluffing" phase so he seems a little cranky.
Tweets

Post by Tweets »

believe me when I tell you that once your IRN gets attached to you, you'll never regret all the effort you have put in to get the birdie to love you :)

hang in there..

Sami & Skye
Sami