MBS problems.

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

MBS problems.

Post by Gemstone »

OK guys.

Amazon has a new friend.

we have been told he is a year old, but i am guessing he's going thru his 18mth molt, his ring is just starting to show, he is quite stressed as he has now been sold twice in a month.

we expected a bit of heat when we first put them in the same place at the same time.
Being that Amazon is only 4 months we thought we would have to protect Amazon.

but it seems that HE is the BULLY.
he is refusing to share anything, including Mum and Dad.
at this exact moment both cages are right next to each other, but Amazon never uses his, so he thinks he is in big trouble.

they are both out, and amazon is playing with a ball, while toby is supervising from high on a bag.

and to beat the flames, both toby and amazon were checked out by the vet yesterday and we were told that a quarintine period was not needed.

is there anything else that we could do to make life easier in the household?

Sorry for the long post, i have a couple of pix from the lul in the fighting and will post them shortly.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to your new baby Toby!

I wonder if the babys are more aggressive towards the adults?

My 4 month old Yoda is a bird bully. My 6 year old Gilbert had always been top bird till lil baby Yoda arrived. Yoda hates Gilbert eating, playing, sleeping.. anything! Im hoping this will settle down in a few months. They are making progress slowly! I still have to give them each a plate of vegies, because Yoda wont share.

I had them in separate rooms for a few weeks and introduced them slowly. I didnt want any fights or Gilbert becoming depressed about the new baby.

Maybe let them out for playtime at separate times for a while so they dont miss out on things? Make sure you spend equal time with each.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Ollie chases Silk around the table every chance she gets Chickie. Maybe it is a babyish thing? Silk rules the roost most of the time though lol, though I must say I am very proud of how well they all play together.
LOL poor Gilbert! Still getting bossed by the ever cheeky Yoda :lol:
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

in the last 24 hours they have made alot of progress, amazon is woudering what the hell is oging on coz he has to sleep in his cage, (normally he sleeps on his gym)

they are ok if they are out at the same time,
after taking a beating all day toby started to stand his ground and it has made amazon think twice.

toby already knows some non-IRN sounds, so hopefully talking isn't far away.
Adam and Dude
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Congratulations on your new baby! Look forward to seeing the pair in action & hearing of their adventures (your fids go on better trips than I do!). Cheers, MCS
MCS
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

thanks for that catschair, yes they do go on great trips.

We will post more pics of them together when toby settles in a bit more
Adam and Dude
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

ok we really have a problem.

Amazon has never slept in his cage he has always slept on his gym.

We now have Toby and to stop the fighting and the favouring we have had to put both Amazon and Toby into their own cages at night for sleep time, we just feel real bad for Amazon as he pokes his beak though the bars and holds his head down (he thinks he is in trouble).

During the day we spend equal time with each of them and show each other to them so they get use to each other, they get turns on the gym. but Amazon isnt happy with that.

Toby is fine in his cage as that is where he spends most of his day on and in his cage never on teh floor, Amazon will play on the floor, gym and on his and Toby's cage.

We need help please someone, we dont want to let Amazon out as its not fair on Toby but we dont want Amazon thinking he is in trouble.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Separate rooms for a while maybe?
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

we tried that, they just talk to each other and wake us up and when out of cages go for each other, we have there cages right next to each other they seem fine and will sleep without annoying each other we jsut feel bad about putting Amazon into a cage when he thinks he is in trouble.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I now let Gilbert sleep where ever he wants but Yoda has now 'moved into' Gilberts cage and puts himself to bed in there. I think Yodas like 'Well if your not going to take it. I will!' I just let them decide where they want to sleep. Even if ones in a cage and ones not.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

thanks for that will do that tonight. let them sleep where they want, do we closse teh cage door so amazon cant get into tobys cage or leave it open so if toby decides he wants to look around he can still get out.
Adam and Dude
Bird crazy

Ah MBS, I love it.

Post by Bird crazy »

Welcome to the new fid Toby. And Amazon being the baby is quite the little stinker isn't he.

Hope it all works out. I have no words of wisdom for you except it will work out. They will finally settle in and get used to each other and get along or it will be clear what you have to do to protect them from each other. If you are up until they are asleep I would think that the only problem would be if they get up much earlier than you and you aren't there to supervise.

Keep us posted.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Id leave both cages open. My 2 seam to swap cages.

Oh yes.. Bird crazys right, You'll might have to get up early to supervise if they dont get along. Gilbert and Yoda fight but Gilbert will fly away if Yoda comes anywhere near him. So I can sort of trust they wont hurt each other. I still get up when they do anyway.

If you like to sleep in, maybe one in a cage and one not? Im sure they dont mind as long as they get sleep. :wink:
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

they are getting alot better in close proximity, we can now hold them close to each other and have nothing happen.

i think Amazon may have establised himself as the alpha.

right now toby is in his cage "clicking" and amazon is watching from above in great amazement.

they have ventured into each others cages, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there, the biggest issue is if we put toby on the play gym, amazon sees red and pushes toby off, i think we might have to make a new one so it becomes nutural.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Good to hear theyve made 'some' progress. :wink: