Hey all!!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

FairyMom

Hey all!!!

Post by FairyMom »

Hello, some of you know me from BirdBoard. I am Sheri, 25, stay at home mom for at least one more week lol. I have 7 birds- 4Tiels, a Sun conure and a green cheek conure, and just recently added a IRN to my flock. He belonged to my parents who also have a cockatoo. They were kept in the same room. Mostly cage free together for the last 2 years. Just this past week the Cockatoo attacked the IRN, whos name is Corona, and because my parents do not have the best finances they called me. I have vetted Corona and gotten him the help he needed.

Now Corona is a part of my flock. My parents gave him to me because I am the only one they knew who knew anything about birds. Not that I was prepared for this situation in any way but thanks to some wonderful people on the other board we have pulled through this.

Coronas injuries are, The upper portion of his beak is almost completely gone. It was crushed by the cockatoo, left hanging on by a flap at the top. The vet had to remove the damaged portion and Corona was left with very little beak left(I will post pics at bottom). He also lost a rear toe on his left leg. The vet says the beak might grow back, but might not. So for the forseable future Corona is on handfeeding and eating Handfeeding formula from a dish along with other things like babyfood and pellet powder mixed in(grinded in a coffee grinder) and oatmeal(which he has learned VERY fast). We also had some concerns about how he would get around. He is now climbing his cage. Not alot yet but he is getting better at it.

Here are befor and after pics of Corona.

This is how he was befor the accident happened.

This is him 2 days after the accident, right after I brought him home from the vet:

and these are from today. A week after the accident happened.(and right after a bath lol) He didnt like bath time at all.

Whew, sorry this is so long. I just wanted to say hi to ya'll and tell you a little about my new baby. Thanks for letting me join. I look forward to learning more about my IRN and makeing friends.

Sheri
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Hi Sheri,

Glad to see you here! I was so happy to see how well Corona is doing! You must be doing an awesome job!!!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hey there and glad to see a fellow BBer here.

Corona is looking great! You have been doing a wonderful job...look forward to hearing all about him...;)

Dani
Cindy

Oh poooooooor baby

Post by Cindy »

Oh, this pooooooor baby! I just want to snatch him up and hold him and never let go! My heart breaks...Thank you for taking this little one in. He looks so hurt and confused right now...The pain in his eyes shows clearly....They are such proud birds about their looks...NOW I know I never, never, never want a TOO.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Melika

Post by Melika »

It scares me to think of all the information I've read on beak injuries. Corona may very well never grow his beak back. But that still doesn't hold me back from hoping.

It is so difficult to imagine our animals attacking one another after getting along so well, isn't it?

I'm happy you could help Corona and are caring for him so well. Welcome to the board as a new IRN parent!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

omg, i am speechless due to pictures, it brought tears to my eyes, it was like lookin at my own fid, but what touched me more was the you opened your heart and took him in. *hug*. He looks like the sweetest lil guy. Keep us updated on him, and remember...post pictures often! :)
~the stubborn one~