My Indian Ringneck hates my mom!!!

Moderator: Mods

Guanchy

My Indian Ringneck hates my mom!!!

Post by Guanchy »

My Indian Ringneck is about 5 months old. we got him when he was only 2 months! He loves me he is actually very attached to me, more than other members of the family.

He really liked my mom aswell and he would go on top of her she would feed him and he was totally fine with her! Once he started flying around the house we were scared he was going to scape because there is an opening on one of the walls that goes to the roof and we can't close it because its a emergency exit. So we decided to cut his wings and my mom cut them. Ever since he hates my mom. Every time she gets close to the cage he starts making noises and his feathers go up! and when she tries to touch him he bites her.
Also when i have him on my shoulder and my mom tries to touch him he jumps off and gets upset!

WHat would be the best thing to do? My mom really likes him and originally we got the bird for my Mom as a gift but she can't even get close to the cage.
MissK

Re: My Indian Ringneck hates my mom!!!

Post by MissK »

Lacking any more information, I interpret this in the following way:

Bird was quite surprised, probably frightened, and certainly "offended" that your mom cut his wings. He is associating that trauma with her and thus wants nothing to do with her. He is afraid she will attack him again. I am surprised he does not extend this associating to the person who was holding him during the clip, but if that person was you, maybe your extra special position in his heart bought you a pass.

I would suggest your mom start sucking up with the fantastic treats and not touch the bird or try to hold the bird for several months, until he gains confidence she is not going to cause him trouble.

Regarding the escape hatch in the wall, is it possible that you can tape up some paper over that hole to make it look like a solid wall to the bird? If there is a law that you cannot block this hole, or you are concerned there will be an emergency and someone will forget the escape is there, you could tape up plain paper and write EMERGENCY EXIT BEHIND PAPER on it in big letters. I know that might be an unusual thing to do in the home, but it might solve the problem of needing to clip the bird in the future. You could also cover it with a curtain, but it would not be as secure as actually taping over the opening, especially if the bird later tries to nest there.

These are just my thoughts.
-MissK