Funny behavior with pumpkin seeds

Moderator: Mods

Missie

Funny behavior with pumpkin seeds

Post by Missie »

:shock:
Clyde has started to take his pumpkin seeds to his water dish and dunk them before eating them, does any one else find their IRN’s doing this? I do see him drink the water from time to time, so that is not an issue. The only problem I have with this, is after he dunks it, he jumps over to his seed dish and then eats it, getting wet pumpkin seed into the dry seeds. So I am now having to chuck out more seed, so it does not go moldy.

Missie
AJPeter

Re: Funny behavior with pumpkin seeds

Post by AJPeter »

My Alex hen last year took cornflakes from my hand and dunked them before eating them but her taste changes all the time. What l find annoying is that she will drop everything into her bath water, it resembles a gourmet soup.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Yummy!. Sanjay will not eat dry pumpkin seeds he prefers a piece of fresh pumpkin from the Asian stall, he nibbles the flesh and seeds, and when the shell is empty he chucks it overboard, sorted!
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

sanjays mummi wrote: and when the shell is empty he chucks it overboard, sorted!
My birds like to throw out all their vegetables and pretend they ate them lol...

but back on subject.. my newest bird does this with corn.. always drops the kernels in his water. I don't mean rock hard corn kernels. I mean edible stuff. Not sure why he does it, but he drops corn and a couple other things into his water.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Sunni and Oliver, our Indian ringnecks, dip EVERYTHING, whether it needs softened or not. Oscar and Luna, our African ringnecks, have never dipped that I have observed.
I'm wondering if it is an age thing. Oscar and Luna are both around four and were caged up until we got them, with nothing but a seed diet. Sunni and Oliver are younger. Sunni will be two at the end of June, while Oliver is about a year old.
Just a curious though I had :)
Dana
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

I find Rocky's pellets in his water, but I think he is trying to get them wet in his mouth and just drops them.
-MissK
Missie

Post by Missie »

Clyde is now just 4 months, he also drops things to the bottom of the cage, but has now in the last week started to climb down for them. So funny to see him trying to get back up with his mouth full, up the bars. Will have to get more perches for him so he can hop back up with his mouth full so he does not fall.

Missie