Hiding under couch

Moderator: Mods

Sherik

Hiding under couch

Post by Sherik »

Usually I enjoy reading the posts here but feel the need to post for help. For the past month my 7 year old female has decided to get in the annoying habit of going under the couch hiding and pulling the loops out of the carpet. She used to enjoy her toys on her cage playtop and on her playstand, she even has an empty shoe box she used to love to hide in and shred but now within seconds of being put back on her cage she is on the floor and going under the couch.
We put blankets around the couch she was going under to stop her but now just heads across the room to the other couch.
Any suggestions to get her distracted with this behaviour?

Thank you!
AJPeter

Re: Hiding under couch

Post by AJPeter »

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18480

Read "A thread for AJ and Billie about hormal behaviour."

I think you hen is showing the classic symptons of nest building, look for a nesting box that is in a more accesible place, soon she she will start laying infertile eggs. My Alex Hens first 6 were light weight and she quickly smashed these. I tried fooling her with dummy eggs but she started to gnaw them. Her next 4 eggs were very heavy. I had a hard job stopping her laying moving the cage and things around to unsettle her it finally worked/

Make sure your hen has access to cuttle fish bone she will need the calcium.