First time owner need help

Moderator: Mods

petarpav

First time owner need help

Post by petarpav »

My IRN in the last few days has started behaving slightly funny, in that his putting on his male display to the wife particularly her hand and even done the regurgitation, I understand that is a normal behavior.

But what's been happening is the wife would be on one couch and I would be on the other which has the coffee table between them and he would hop of the couch, hop fly up to the coffee table hop back down and then fly back up to the couch I'm on and immediately sink he's break straight into my arm, elbow, hand, face what ever he can get too. Last night he actually drew blood and not the first time.

my IRN is full flighted and can fly and at the time I made no attempt to touch him with my hands, he landed on the couch on his own choosing. Obviously I ignored it not making a fuss/saying anything like all the other times but he continued to keep going total of 8. I'm not sure of his age but he has his ring so 2-3 years approx.

Is there anything I can do I understand not making a fuss but need a way to stop the continued biting/beaking, do I slide in a chew toy or something that his allowed to chew?

Curious if anyone else has had this issue and what you did to stop it.

Petar
Donovan

Re: First time owner need help

Post by Donovan »

My bird does this sometimes. For the most part he's tamed and well behaved, but there are a couple of triggers that get him riled up and makes him bite me through no fault of my own.

It's either over excitement or an attempt at domination. Either way, remove the trigger and the behavior should cease... or become predictable enough to be avoided.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I am not going to try to diagnose the source of this attacking, though the idea that he wants your wife to himself does cross my mind........

What do you do about it? Strategies may include taking over the aspects of bird care that are enjoyable for the bird. YOU bring the food, YOU bring the treats, YOU open the cage door, etc. You might also make sure you are the one who "saves" him from a bad situation like being at the vet's. The vet gets all up in his business, but you come in at the end and take him and reassure him and treat him, etc. Absolutely do not be the one doing anything the bird doesn't like, such as clipping the toenails, etc.

In a more immediate response, learn to see the attack coming. Dodge it, block it, distract him. If you can get him distracted then you can treat. I would not treat to distract because in that way you reward him coming after you. But, if you can block with a toy and then reward him for turning his attention to the toy, that would be fine.

Another idea I have, not sure how this will go for you, but if you can teach him an acceptable behaviour that beings the same way his attack begins, you might be able to divert him into doing tricks instead, just by presenting the prop. Example might be, train him to fly to you and then pick up an object and then do something with it. Then when he flies at you, just present the object. If he is very thoroughly trained, he might well change his mind about what he is going to do once he gets there. InTheAir has posted some great videos of her bird performing tricks she taught him, so I would consider her the place to go for inspiration.
-MissK
petarpav

Post by petarpav »

Thanks for the advise and the quick reply, he seemed a lot happier yesterday around me even gave him his favorite treat and he went to bed when asked without any trouble. :D

Not one bite yeah.