I am wanting to purchase IRN

Moderator: Mods

squawgirl

I am wanting to purchase IRN

Post by squawgirl »

Hello everyone, I have been visiting a pet store which has a IRN and she will be 2 in March. I really want to purchase her. What are some tips for someone who has nevered owned an IRN? Will they make good pets for children?
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hi Squawgirl,

You are very wise for researching before buying, I have heard so many horrible stories about people doing it the other way around!

I personally dont think that parrots and children go well together, but in saying that it depends on the age of the children and the personality of the indiviual bird.

Indian Ringnecks are fantastic, I completely understand that you are drawn to to her... thats how our boy got us. I would research the individual bird further, does she get held often? Has she had any training? Does she have any behavioural issues? At 2 years old she could be really set in her ways and you dont want to have a nippy, grumpy, noisy bird around kids.

Something I always need to keep in mind when I enter pet stores (my partner would say I am addicted to them!) is that this is like having a 2 year old child for the next 20-30 years, they are so rewarding and I would not trade Datsun for the world but they require a lot of attention and it is not a responsibility anyone should take lightly. Datsun is enough for me, for now.

I hope this helps. I have had nothing but good times with Datsun and the more I learn about him and this breed in general the more I love them...

All the best

-Chamon
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

[quote]What are some tips for someone who has nevered owned an IRN?[/quote]
I think you should consider viewing a these sites. The first one is mine, the second is another site and the third is mine as well.
:arrow: http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Parr ... ticles.htm
:arrow: http://www.yourparrotplace.com/parrot_a ... onding.htm
:arrow: http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Indi ... 20FAQs.htm

Indian Ringnecks are only now starting to be "domesticated" and there isn't much info about them yet. For one thing, they're very demanding of attention and Kiki my pet Indian Ringneck wants to be carried around all the time! During breeding season, this is if they bond to their owners such as Kiki has to me, they can be quite a problem at screaming so I wouldn't reccomend you purchase the darling if you have close neighbours or live in an apartment. In general, as Datsun said, they make excellent pets and are great with kids depending on size. :idea: Kiki, my pet Indian Ringneck is generally fascinated with "little kids" and love my little brother a lot. She always perches on him and other small kids that come to visit us. They are extremely gentle once tamed and will be trustworthy with your little children for sure. My little brother loves carrying Kiki around with him. :arrow: On Kiki's main page of her site ( http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/index.htm ) there's a section for "reccomended reading" that I update every week or so and I really think you should check out an article or two there. They are really worthwhile reading. This board also provides quite some good information worth reading from what i've found. The members here are also very helpful on this species specific. :idea: You are bound to fly into good information through library books for birds as well, and don't worry if the topic isn't about Indian Ringnecks specifically, as any other book would do just as well. After all, they are all parrots.

:arrow: If you have a normal yard, lots of paitience and time, lovely good-natured children who'd want to play gently with your new pet, and you yourself are prepared for lots of training sessions and another child into the family (Another parrot is another child into the family!) i'd not think twice about acquiring the new pet. Go for it!

As Datsun said, it's good you are looking for research.