Different behaviour?

Moderator: Mods

Madhuri

Different behaviour?

Post by Madhuri »

Is there any remarkably different in the behaviour of females or males IRN? Good or bad things that is important to know before buying a bird?
ellieelectrons

Re: Different behaviour?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Madhuri

I have a male and female IRN. We have had the female for 5 years and the male for 4 years. Last year we started to have troubles with nesting behaviour. We had a female bird that if we interfered with her plans to try to nest in our clothes dryer or if we opened a cupboard or drawer or did any number of things that you would generally do during the course of a normal day, she would fly at us to bite us. It was rather distressing, especially when at first, we didn't realise what was causing the problem.

Whether it be a male or female ringneck, you want to avoid them thinking you are their birdy mate as this can cause many problems such as biting other people (or you) when people come near you (they become possessive of you). If your bird has a pair-bond with you, they may also attempt to regurgitate food to you (messy and gross) and/or attempt to mate with you. You want your bird to think of you as part of the flock, rather than as his/her mate.

Ellie.
Madhuri

Re: Different behaviour?

Post by Madhuri »

Thank you so much ellieelectrons , that is good to know. I have a little Meyers and i was hoping they might be able to get along when out of the cage so maybe they also could make a kind of friendship. i know you can never know before they meet. but i still hope they can have joy time together though they are not same species. :)