Related Pair! How to breed...

Moderator: Mods

chrisn

Related Pair! How to breed...

Post by chrisn »

Hi,

I have been breeding Indian ringnecks for 4 years. I had a pair (both green) who have bred, had 2 offspring, a green and a yellow. They were all kept in the same aviary. The father flew away. Around 3 weeks later, the yellow offspring was found dead on the floor with blood on its head (I'm assuming the mum has pecked at it until it died as she is the most aggressive).

Since then, I have not given much attention to the remaining ringnecks (the mum and the green offspring). The breeding box is still in the cage and the offspring is now 2 years old. The mum is spending a lot of time in the box, and the offspring goes in sometimes. I have seen them in the act, but there are still no eggs. Today, she was in the box the whole day, so I could not check for eggs. If he does lay any eggs, would they be fertile since the father is her son? What problems could be caused by related parents?

Thanks in advance
chrisn

Re: Related Pair! How to breed...

Post by chrisn »

Just confirming that the female has laid 3 eggs.
chrisn

Re: Related Pair! How to breed...

Post by chrisn »

There are now 5 eggs (see photo). The female is always in the box, goes out for a stretch once or twice a day. The male is always eating, guarding the box or inside with the female. Again, I'm unsure of the gender of the male, but this is normal male behaviour. Just wondering whether the eggs have a good chance of being fertile? Thanks