Hello from toronto

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

arhamz

Hello from toronto

Post by arhamz »

Hello I am a proud owner of 2 ringnecks
Yellow one is a cock and the blue one is a hen...
I would like to thank everyone on this site.. you guys helped me learn alot about my birds.. my hen is mostly blue but has green on it what mutation is that? .. they are young but I'd like know what kind of babies they will have..

I was gonna post pics but can't as a new user
-Arham
ellieelectrons

Re: Hello from toronto

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Arham

Welcome. I have a lutino male and blue female too. If your birds are straight blue and lutino and their parents are the same, then your female babies will be lutino split blue and your male babies will be green split blue (I think I've remembered that right). I'm not into the whole breeding thing, but I did find out what I would get if my two breed.

Ellie.
arhamz

Post by arhamz »

Thank you so much.. I am not into the breeding thing myself.. just wanted to know out of curiosity..

I dono what split they are.. I got em off someone who bought these from a reputable breeder but was no longer to give the attention they needed.. they are still very young 4 months and 5 months old.. I m trying to get them to bond better.. I got both Cuz I didnt want to separate the 2... didn't know they fight as much as they do now? How can I make them bond better? I m getting everything 2 for them to avoid conflicts.. they don't fight to a point where one can seriously get hurt..
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

First question, are you certain they are male and female? At that age, you can only tell if they have been DNA or surgically sexed, or if it is known through genetics (eg. if my 2 bred, males are green and females are yellow).

Secondly, even if you have a male and female, they won't necessarily bond (unfortunately).

Ellie.
arhamz

Post by arhamz »

I have DNA test results. They are not out to kill each other but they fight over food. They sleep on the same branch but during the day you can rarely see them close to each other..
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine still squabble occasionally over food. IRNs are not known for being too lovey-dovey. Just keep an eye on them to make sure nothing escalates.

Ellie.
arhamz

Post by arhamz »

Thank you so much for all your help.. I just added mirror to there cage and the female don't let the male near it.. gonna buy an other one for the male.. is mirror in the cage OK for the birds? The both keep looking at themself hope it won't drive em crazy (that's what someone told me)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm not really sure about mirrors. I have seen some birds get obsessed with the mirror in an unhealthy way (eg. never leaving the mirror). I have a feeling that if you get a second mirror, the female will try to prevent him from using that one too. Personally I don't have one in my guy's cage. I don't like them myself, but that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it. Others might like to weigh in here. I would also wonder if it might cause even more fights given that they may think there are more birds in the cage with them?

Ellie.
arhamz

Post by arhamz »

Surprisingly they became more calm after the first day.. they tend to fight the bird in the mirror more then each other..
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Whatever works! Just monitor closely... and you may need to remove it if they become obsessed with it.

Ellie.