Behaviour i just can't figure out

Moderator: Mods

mattcoffs

Behaviour i just can't figure out

Post by mattcoffs »

Hey all,

So those of you who've been around for a while might know i've sure had my share of ups and downs with my bird. Things have for the most part settled down, i had her clipped and have re-evaluated my behaviour with her and have had some positive results. For the most part she's a pretty happy bird most of the time...

There's just one routine (that i'm not rather fond of) thats become far too regular for my liking. I will uncover her in the morning and let her out of the cage. When i open the cage door, her body's flat, wings lifted slightly (but not extended), head kinked right upwards and pupils small. She wants scratches and cuddles. Sometimes she appears to be in a trance, like she won't even step up she's just stuck in the position. To get her to come out i have to gently lift my finger upwards from underneath her claw.

Anyway so that's all good, and she'll love scratches for a few minutes or so and then for no reason whatsoever she'll bite me hard. What i can't work out is there's no warning. Usually when she's upset with me, or doesn't want to be touched she'll either back away, jump off me, or worst case give me the old open beak - but in the mornings there's just no warning. I've tried all sorts of methods to stop it but nothing's really working yet.

I guess if i could possibly figure out why, i could adjust to curb it.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
MissK

Re: Behaviour i just can't figure out

Post by MissK »

Do you suppose she may be giving you a little discipline since you are not doing your boy duty?

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Matt

Nice to see you back again. :) I hope all is going well.

Janey does that sometimes during pattings too. I've never figured out whether it's to do with not being pat in the right place or in the right way or whether the excitement gets too much. Someone else I know with a female IRN also has the same problem, although his bird isn't quite as tame as Janey. Not an ideal solution, but I have adjusted the way that I pat her. She _has_ to be on my hand (or knee if I'm sitting down), I never do it when she is in the cage, so she has stopped asking for it when in the cage (I worry about territorial behaviours if she's in the cage). I like her to be somewhere where she can fly away if she wants to _and_ I can make sure I'm safe too (therefore, I won't pat her if she's anywhere near my face or anywhere that I'm uncomfortable). I also watch her like a hawk when I pat her. Sometimes I also resort to patting her with my forearm rather than with my hand if I'm scared she is going to lash out and bite me. She hasn't done it for a while now (touchwood) but the most recent times she bit me, I had found that she'd shape to bite but would rarely get me - I think she was using it to communicate something rather than trying to actually bite me - although she would always do it very quickly, and it would be quite scary.

I hope that makes sense.

Ellie.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Oh boy, not doing my boy duty!...
Hmmm i'm not really sure if i want to go there and acknowledge that one.... :oops:

Ellie, yes unfortunately i don't have a lot of spare time at the moment. I feel a little bad i'm not able to be as helpful on the forum as i should be!
Your similar experience actually makes me feel a lot better about this! Knowing that it's not necessarily specific to my bird is actually a bit of a relief. Behaviours i can adjust, gender traits i doubt i can!

Also just to add, it doesn't matter if she's in or out of the cage with this particular behaviour.

Thanks again!
MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol:
Just sayin'.

-MissK
-MissK