I think my Indian Ringneck might be sick.

Moderator: Mods

MarcyLove

I think my Indian Ringneck might be sick.

Post by MarcyLove »

Lately my Indian Ringneck, Marcy has been acting really strangely. She won't interact with me, she'll just sit on my shoulder and stare into space. She is usually very playful and active (not to mention vocal). Also when she tries to squawk it her voice shuts off mid way through her call.
Her feces is green. The whites of her eyes have been ranging from bloodshot to yellow. She's also losing a lot of feathers compared to what she would normally.
She seems a bit off her food too. Her tongue is very pale, almost on the pinkish white side.
Any ideas what this could be. I can't get her to a vet until next weekend and I fear that by this time she could be a very sick little bird.
MissK

Re: I think my Indian Ringneck might be sick.

Post by MissK »

Hi Marcy,

Next weekend is, quite literally, a week away. If it were me, I would evaluate each complaint several times a day, keeping a clear written record, and using nonsubjective criteria. In this way I would develop a clear picture of her progress through the trouble. I would use this information to make a judgement call as to whether I would insist the vet see the bird sooner or wait. I would use the same information, if needed, to persuade the vet that my demand had merit. If there is actual diarrhea then dehydration becomes a concern.

By all means, if you see the bird slipping as the week goes on, recontact the vet. Request a sooner appointment, offer to drop everything and run in if there is a cancellation, AND MEAN IT. You cannot ask them to accommodate you with a special request if you are not prepared to do your part.

If you must leave a message, include important details, express a concern that the bird should be evaluated sooner, request a call back, and provide a contact number you will answer, come Hell or high water. Be sure you plan your message before you call so you can be clear and to the point, and not fall victim to emotional rambling. Take care to note it is a call for the vet regarding a medical issue, not just a call for the schedule keeper for a change in appointment. Make it crystal clear.

Place your call as soon as you feel the need. If you do not hear back from the vet by an hour before close of business, call again to verify they got the message and reiterate you are expecting a call back on the same day. If, by some chance, you have not heard from the vet by late morning the following day, make a second follow up call and offer firmly to wait on the line. If 24 hours pass without a conversation with the vet, call again as before but also ask for a referral to a different vet.

Your vet, in theory, cares deeply about the welfare of your bird. They may or may not care about you, and you will have to make peace with that as best you can. My personal call on this matter is that when I need a vet, it's not about me. However, I do have an excellent relationship with nearly everyone on my "veterinary team". I treat them as I would like to be treated, with respect and kindness, and I take care not to waste their time. I learn everything I can before I ask questions so true communication may occur. I do everything I can to help them to help me, and ensure that when they greet me with a smile, they mean it. I've even gone so far, on one occasion, as to take a Valium before meeting with the vet, in order not to waste his valuable time with my emotional hysteria. Do your part. The veterinarian is your pet's second best friend in the world. It is well that they should be treated accordingly by you.

I wish you, of course, the very best with your bird.
-MissK
-MissK
MarcyLove

Post by MarcyLove »

Thanks very much!
I've made a sooner appointment with a different vet.
lets just hope she's okay :/
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

Do make sure you take your bird to an avian vet. A cat and dog vet who treats birds is really a waste of money, from my experience.
Birds do tend to hide their symptoms well, and avian vets are aware of this, and will generally try to fit an opportunity to see a potentially life threatening case quickly. As Missk said, If you explain all the symptoms very clearly on the phone they will be able to assess the urgency.

As far as the green droppings, have you been feeding more veges or artificially coloured pellets lately?

Has she got little pin feathers growing in?

Did you take her to the vet about the piece of your jewelery she ate?
MarcyLove

Post by MarcyLove »

InTheAir wrote:Hey,

Do make sure you take your bird to an avian vet. A cat and dog vet who treats birds is really a waste of money, from my experience.
Birds do tend to hide their symptoms well, and avian vets are aware of this, and will generally try to fit an opportunity to see a potentially life threatening case quickly. As Missk said, If you explain all the symptoms very clearly on the phone they will be able to assess the urgency.

As far as the green droppings, have you been feeding more veges or artificially coloured pellets lately?

Has she got little pin feathers growing in?

Did you take her to the vet about the piece of your jewelery she ate?
It was actually wooden jewelery that she ate and she was absolutely fine after that c:
I used to feed her coloured pellets but her droppings were brown and well formed.
Her poos are also very watery.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm no expert...and I'm not giving advice to replace that of a vet. Not sure if you feed her lots of veggies, but to me it sounds like a vitamin A deficiency. Does she have white patches on her tongue? Usually sickness as you're describing would be related to diet deficiencies. Ringnecks need to be fed a broad range of veggies and fruits. While you are waiting for your vet appointment, keep her warm, feed her a healthy diet, and watch for worsening conditions. I hope your baby is ok. Keep us updated :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MarcyLove

Post by MarcyLove »

Skyes_crew wrote:I'm no expert...and I'm not giving advice to replace that of a vet. Not sure if you feed her lots of veggies, but to me it sounds like a vitamin A deficiency. Does she have white patches on her tongue? Usually sickness as you're describing would be related to diet deficiencies. Ringnecks need to be fed a broad range of veggies and fruits. While you are waiting for your vet appointment, keep her warm, feed her a healthy diet, and watch for worsening conditions. I hope your baby is ok. Keep us updated :)
She's got very bad diarrhoea at the moment which is a vibrant green and yellow with brown spots.
I've given her apple juice mixed with water to encourage her to drink so she doesn't get dehydrated .
I have a horrible feeling that she has Liver disease or worms. She has also started to have coughing and sneezing fits and I'm pretty sure she's vomited in her cage
I'm so worried about my little darling, she honestly means to the world to me.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's upper respiratory. Get her to a vet now!!!!!!
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D