Mom to three fids

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

SunniDai

Mom to three fids

Post by SunniDai »

Afternoon, all. My name is Dana and I currently have three Indian Ringnecks, two green (Oscar and Luna) and a Lutino (Sunni Dai). We got Sunni when she was three weeks old and I hand fed her until she weaned herself. We obtained the greens about two months ago in a rescue. They are approximately two to three years old (Oscar's ring is almost completely in). When we got Oscar and Luna, we were told that they were left in a cage from young and that their owner was an older lady. When we first got them, they were completely wild; they bit HARD, fought with Sunni, and were terrified of our hands. Over the past two months, we have gotten them into a routine that they like: get out of their cages, walk down the hallway and hang out on the cage/play stand. When it's time to go to bed at night, they walk back down the hallway and we "stick" them, or lift them with a stick into their cages. We don't shut any of their cages anymore and they stay in or on their cages until it's time to get up again. They still bite occasionally but not with the grinding they did at first. Once in a while they will step up onto a hand covered in a towel, and we have even gotten them to ride on our shoulders more than once. :) They have come a tremendous way. Sunni, on the other hand, is my baby. She goes everywhere with me and rides my shoulder a LOT, and I think that has actually helped Luna and Oscar see that we aren't that bad. I can pretty much do whatever I want with her (within reason of course lol). I have noticed that Oscar and Luna are watching Sunni when she plays on the floor with her foot toys, and they have begun to express an interest in staying on the floor for a bit before they climb the cage in the morning. I hope someday we will be able to pet them and cuddle them, but even if we can't, at least I know they are happier than they were before, stuck in a cage all the time and fed nothing but seed.
Anyway, I am here because I am the mother of three fantastic fids and can never have too much information. I find information comes best from people with experience. Also, I think some of my friends are getting a little weirded out that so much of my life is all about the fids. :)
Have a great day, all.
Dana
~Dana

Skyes_crew

Re: Mom to three fids

Post by Skyes_crew »

You've definitely come to the right place to talk birds :D my whole family thinks I'm odd because of how much time I spend with my birds. I have 6 and a new one on the way. Congrats to you on the rescue birds :) that is an awesome thing you've done. Obviously you know how to be patient and you've brought them a long way towards being tamed.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the numerous threads with tons of info. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ellieelectrons

Re: Mom to three fids

Post by ellieelectrons »

Welcome Dana.

I think you'll find lots of kindred spirits on here.

Ellie.