Some pics of some of my Deeps

Deep, DF Deep, 9mo
Deep Indigo, 21mo
Deep Indigo 21mo
DF Deep Turq 21mo, DF Deep 9mo, Df Deep Turq 9mo
sheyd

Re: Deep thread

Post by sheyd »

Lovely birds- I would love to own one of these (Deep)- but for the time being a bit out of my price range.

Are you going to delve into Green series?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Willy, once again thanks for these quality images! :D

I am still amazed at how light and close to blue the SF deep blue is. Would also love to see them in the green series.
madas

Post by madas »

trabots wrote:We all know there are normal and brilliant Blue IRNs.
Johan S wrote:I am still amazed at how light and close to blue the SF deep blue is.
So is there a Chance that the "brillant" Blue IRNs in real are the "deep" blues?

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:
trabots wrote:We all know there are normal and brilliant Blue IRNs.
Johan S wrote:I am still amazed at how light and close to blue the SF deep blue is.
So is there a Chance that the "brillant" Blue IRNs in real are the "deep" blues?

madas
There is always a chance... :) Don't know how likely it is, though. I would like to see some brilliant blues first in real life. There is the odd chance that I may have this opportunity towards the end of June.
madas

Post by madas »

Tienie has posted the pics below. :D

Edit: Removed very large pic.
Last edited by madas on Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Those brilliant blues are very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing them in real life at some stage.

Willy, do you have a picture in the controlled environment you have established where we can see the back of a deep blue? Would be interesting to compare with the previous post.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

Thanks a million for the images and opportunity to learn from you. I am pretty sure most of us wouldn't have recognized this as a mutation. I own blue brighter looking birds that split for fallow that can be paired for this season for experiments. Lets wait and see if they produce a df or homozygous form.

Let me not jump to conclusions but I think a lot of the sf birds could have been mistaken for normals.

Stefan you will always be welcome to use any of my pics. I appreciate the lessons I have learned from you and other members.

Willy attached please find pics of a 2012 blue/nsl-ino/fallow? hen

Pics of the matured birds will follow later for your opinion.

Tienie
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

pics of matured hen.

tail feathers of the hen

It was late afternoon already. The pic of the cock was in total shadow. Will wait for a better pic and then post it.

Your opinion please.

Johan S

This one is for you, my 2012 blue opaline cock (8 months old)

Tienie
Last edited by Carr.birds on Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Tienie, that opaline is truly stunning for his age. :D

As for the brilliant blue, I'd dearly love to see a mutation acting in this way; clearing the slightly dull silver sheen in normal birds. I hope this is what we are looking at. As discussed privately at some stage, we may also be looking at the combined effect of multiple recessive mutations combining to reduce melanin by a small percentage to a point just before we start observing 'saturation'. A homozygous bird will give a lot of insight. I hope you will have success this season.

And once again, stunning young opaline. You know my weakness and preferences too well! :lol:
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Johan

I think it is worth trying. Both birds are from the NT collection and both are split fallow. I have nothing to lose. I think 7 pairs heterozygous & homozygous (bronze or dun or pale) fallow is more than enough.

The combination of blue opaline & 'SA Deep' green/turq (imported European dgreen/turq) will proof if she is indeed sf or df 'SA Deep' green

Tienie
trabots

Post by trabots »

Let me not jump to conclusions but I think a lot of the sf birds could have been mistaken for normals.
It is the same old problem with lighting and shades of blue. I should have put a Blue in there with them. I have posted this comparison before.

clockwise Deep, Dark, Blue
trabots

Post by trabots »

do you have a picture in the controlled environment you have established where we can see the back of a deep blue?
Back pics of Deeps

l-r, Deep, Deep, Dark
l-r, Blue, DF Deep, Deep
l-r, Deep, DF Deep
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

Thanks, the first comparison pic help a lot. I must admit it is a very bright blue bird.
I have decided not to take part in any other deep conversations until I have my own evidence about the 'SA Deep' mutation. Hopefully a successful 2013 breeding season will deliver the goods.

Tienie
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Thanks for the pics, Willy.
Carr.birds wrote:Johan

I think it is worth trying. Both birds are from the NT collection and both are split fallow. I have nothing to lose. I think 7 pairs heterozygous & homozygous (bronze or dun or pale) fallow is more than enough.

The combination of blue opaline & 'SA Deep' green/turq (imported European dgreen/turq) will proof if she is indeed sf or df 'SA Deep' green
Tienie, I agree on all accounts, except that 7 pairs of fallows aren't enough. :D
Carr.birds wrote:I have decided not to take part in any other deep conversations until I have my own evidence about the 'SA Deep' mutation. Hopefully a successful 2013 breeding season will deliver the goods.
I have been sticking my neck out on this topic, but have decided on a similar cautious approach. My only contribution to such conversations will be to be cautious and not jump to conclusions until all the tests have been done. We need DF birds that have shown 100% SF offspring, and two combination birds, a dark NT and an american violet NT, which can be reversed with a blue bird.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi All,

I have managed to get my hands on this cock bird who's father was imported from Belgium in 1994 strangely enough from the same village that the original NT birds originated from.

Please have a look at the pictures especially the color and the tail and let me have your thoughts.

trabots

Post by trabots »

That's the difference, the blue on the wings! Without that how could one really compare 2 green birds by internet? Other pics have been posted showing that blue on the wings, so it must be a defining feature of the SF SA Deep Green. Having blue on a green bird, does that make it a 'parblue' by definition? I wonder what happens to the blue in a DF Deep Green?