My irn's are scared...

Moderator: Mods

Bloom

My irn's are scared...

Post by Bloom »

Hi I have two irns and they are really scared of me they go really crazy when im near their cage. I want them to understand that im not gonna hurt them.. I want them to come to my hand but theyre biting. Its been 4 months since i bought them.. And there still scared. Im actually getting jealous when i watch Bowie on youtube. How can i get them to understand im not gonna hurt them? How can i get thrm to step up on my hand? Oh please reply im really impatient. :oops:

Thank you
-Bloom
indiasmum

Re: My irn's are scared...

Post by indiasmum »

Hi Bloom!

I have hand reared many birds in the past and I can assure you that patience is more important than anything, so always stay patient and calm towards your birds.

To better answer you question, can I ask you a few questions?

- What size cage do they have? Or are they aviary birds?
- How old are the birds?
- Where did you buy them from?
- How do you approach your birds?
- What are their genders?
- Do you keep them together?
- How much time are you spending with the birds per day?

Indian Ringnecks can be very skittish birds if they are not used to human contact. Often it's best to stick to a training routine if you can, so interact with them at the same times every day, this way the birds will expect you at a certain time, and there wont be that shock factor involved for them.

You could try to talk to them first, if these birds are not familiar with consistent human contact, they will become skittish and untame very easily. Start by talking to your birds, even though it sounds silly, you could ask them about their day, just to get them used to the sound of your voice. once they seem calm, you can try putting your arm into their cage so they get used to the idea of you being in their space.

Alternatively you can try tempting them to you with a treat food they like, so open their cage door a little bit and hold a treat food for them (my girl likes almond and papaya) eventually hold the food further away from them after some time so that they are forced to hop up on to your finger or arm to reach the food.

I look forward to hearing back from you, if I know the answer to some of my questions I can give you a few more helpful tips!!

Hope this helps, and remember to keep your patience! :D :D :D :D :D :D