Irn a girl?

Moderator: Mods

Bloom

Irn a girl?

Post by Bloom »

Hello. I have bought a new irn 5 months old... How can i know its gender without dna?
Thank youu :roll:
-Bloom
sanjays mummi

Re: Irn a girl?

Post by sanjays mummi »

I am beginning to suspect Sanjay may be a little henny penny, as he is just starting his third moult and no sign of his collar and tie yet. But I really don't care, I love him to bits!.
nathan.dv

Post by nathan.dv »

i'm also wondering if my bird is male or female.I've had "him" for about 3 years but i don't know how old he was when i bought him (he hasn't seemed to grow any bigger since i got got him though so he musn't have been a baby). when i bought it the lady told me she thought it might be male, but that you can't know for sure when they're young. Is it possible he could still get a ring, or is it most likely "he's" actually a female?
thanks.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I got Sanjay at 8 Weeks, and he was very tiny but fully fledged and parent reared, so he was weaned. I was told he was Definitely male, he had been DNA tested, he even had a feather missing from his breast. If he doesn't get his collar after this moult, and he is almost 3 yrs now, I will accept that I was lied to.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

nathan.dv wrote:i'm also wondering if my bird is male or female.I've had "him" for about 3 years but i don't know how old he was when i bought him (he hasn't seemed to grow any bigger since i got got him though so he musn't have been a baby). when i bought it the lady told me she thought it might be male, but that you can't know for sure when they're young. Is it possible he could still get a ring, or is it most likely "he's" actually a female?
thanks.
I'd say after 3 yrs and still no ring, that your bird is actually a female :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Taking in a mature bird who needs a new home is a great way to avoid having to guess at the gender!

:wink:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I recently read a story...still trying to remember where...where the woman stated that her lutino did not get his Ted ring till he was 7. Don't know how true it is, but it's very interesting if it is true.

Edit: found the post...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Parrots-1638 ... ucking.htm
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D