Why he no talk??

Moderator: Mods

Sunchaser

Why he no talk??

Post by Sunchaser »

My little IRN, Chase, refuses to talk. I've had him 5 years, but I don't know how old he is exactly. He was a rescue and is not banded. He LOVES to sing, but only the music and a song I;ve never heard before. The full song lasts about 3 minutes and he will usually go through the entire thing even if disturbed. I live with 4 other people so there is a lot of talking, TV, music, and everything in between. (I'm suprised he doesn't swear to be honest). My grandmother swears she has heard him say "hello" or call our dog Beauty, but no one else has witnessed it. Any ideas??
fionalouise1989

Re: Why he no talk??

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Some IRNs will never talk and thats just it. The only thing Ive seen people say to do is just repeat the same phrase a lot of times or associate words with things like their favourite food when you give it to them say what it is and sometimes they associate with it and MAY start to say it... Have you had him DNA tested, is that how you know its a he?

Ive only had mine since november he/she is about 5 months old and has learnt to whistle but no talking so Im not an expert by any means. So just dont get too disappointed if he never talks as some never do and then others will suddenly start talking its all a bit of wait and see.

Hope that helps

Regards
Fi
Sunchaser

Post by Sunchaser »

fionalouise1989 wrote:Some IRNs will never talk and thats just it. The only thing Ive seen people say to do is just repeat the same phrase a lot of times or associate words with things like their favourite food when you give it to them say what it is and sometimes they associate with it and MAY start to say it... Have you had him DNA tested, is that how you know its a he?

Ive only had mine since november he/she is about 5 months old and has learnt to whistle but no talking so Im not an expert by any means. So just dont get too disappointed if he never talks as some never do and then others will suddenly start talking its all a bit of wait and see.

Hope that helps

Regards
Fi
I've had Chase for 5 years, but before that I don't know what his life was like. He is unbanded, however the person who rescued him and that i got him from said he is an adult male from his pitch as well as his markings. The femail I had (Sky) was much more pale then Chase is and she did not have the recognizable ring around her neck. She was banded and had her gender verified, however Chase wasn't. Sky abused him while we had her after Chase refused to mate with her. He has several scars afrom the occations that she drew blood (only visible during his mult). We also had a lovebird named Aris who tried to mate with him after her own mate Dylan died. When Chase once again did not show interest, she acted like Sky and began to torture him. There is a small gap at the bottom of his cage with a pull out section to clean easily. Aris would slid into that area where Chase couldn't reach her and bite his feet or squack as if to say "yeah, I'm in your cage, what are you going to do about it?" Chase is very territorial of his cage when it comes to other males (of any species) or other animals (I also have a pomeranian female named Beauty). My grandmother and I can easily handle him without him being territorial, but I assume he was abused by males and he has no trust for them (or maybe since it's my grandfather who clips his wings on occation).

Is it possible that having the 2 other birds living with him (Sky in his cage, Aris and Dylan in seperate a seperate cage) that he is unwilling to talk? Or maybe what happened before he came to live with me? Or maybe he just has no will to show off. I was told that parrots and the like only talk as a way to show off, and Chase really doesn't care about the world around him unless it has a mirror or his shadow.

I also think he is *** because of his lack of intertest in female birds, and he acts aggresivly towards my pomeranian female who is scared to be in the same room as him if he is out of his cage, though he never goes after her.
fionalouise1989

Damn I just wrote the biggest post then my bird decided to jump on my keyboard and delete it all haha little terror!! Ok I shall re write now.

By markings does he mean a ring around the neck? If so definitely male. Otherwise it is hard to tell and Ive never heard anyone tell if they are male or female by their pitch but theres always a first!! I wont know what mine is until about 3 years old if a ring does appear before then I know Ive got a female haha

Most birdies are territorial of their cage and fairly so I guess as its their home and they have a right to feel safe and happy in their home. My bird will only ever bite me if I touch his toys in his cage while he is in there with them so I have to get him out on his play gym before I change them. Its our job to make their cage a safe haven for them.

As far as love birds go they are known to be very aggressive to other birds if they arent mates with them, they can even kill them going on what I have read. So I guess if I ever got a love bird I would never ever let those two go near each other.

Like I said in my other post some IRNs dont talk and thats it there is no factors to predisposition this it just is how it is. They may be a healthy happy bird and still not talk. Sometimes if a bird has already learnt to whistle thats all they will do also. Im only going on what I have read from other people as well I cant stress that enough so dont take what I say as gospel. But I guess fear could play a part in not talking but he does whistle so thats a bit of food for thought.

Thats probably a good thing that your dog is scared to be in the same room as I wouldnt let them out together because animals are so unpredictable, they might seem ok then the next minute you cant find your bird and the dog/cat has feathers suspiciously hanging out of its mouth. Its happened a lot before especially with cats. They get on for years then one day the cat just decides it wants to chase and kill the bird as it is in their instincts and thats it no taking that back.

But it sounds to me like poor Chase needs a bit of TLC after having these females and maybe being mistreated before you had him. Guess all you can do is what I said in the other post and wait and see. But it really isnt the end of the world if he doesnt talk. These birds are full of personality and so cute that I wouldnt care if mine never talked :P

Hope that kind of helps and hopefully someone else will have something else to help you.
Fi
MissK

Post by MissK »

:D

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Sunchaser

Post by Sunchaser »

Thanks for all the information. First off I guess, I can do anything to his cage without being bitten unless he wants to sleep, then he gets somewhat bitey. Also, he does have a very black ring around his neck, but this site wont let me put any pictures up yet so I can't share his cute ness. I do have a few on my deviant art account, but again I can't link it without posting aa lot or something.

He only whistles a little and its more like a very loud and short squack appart from when he sings to himself, and that is always the same song.

He is a dear though, he kisses me and is very cute so even if he doesn't talk, its fine, but my brother yells at him when he's being too loud so I'd love it if Chase could say something like "you shut up."
fionalouise1989

Glad to hear you wont be disappointed that he might not talk. Some people buy these birds then get frustrated they wont talk and its just a bit disappointing because theres so much more to them than them talking.

Yes he is definitely a male then :) You need 10 posts before you can post a photo so you are only 2 off! yay :) You could pm me the link to it and i could post it or just put dotcom instead of .com and we can change it. But you wont be far off posting links and pics anyway. Ellie has a good post on how to post pictures too if you wanted to have a look at that thread as I couldnt work out how to do it as it said mine were always too big but this way works! http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=15060

Haha Im glad you would love it. I cringe when my partner says shut up bird thinking if thats the first thing he learns people are going to think hes been abused or something. I just realised what you meant after re reading, haha you might have to try teach him that if he does start to talk would be pretty funny for you brother to yell at him and he go you shut up.

If I read any tricks or tips on how to teach a bird to talk I will let you know. I think theres a few books on it actually but Ive never read them so not sure how beneficial they would be.

Regards Fi
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay mimics sounds beautifully, Colonel Bogey, Shaun the Sheep etc are pitch perfect, but when he talks, which isn't often, wot?? Wot?? In the morning etc, it is said Quietly, maybe you don't always hear your bird when he talks.