Does this sound like a moult, or something more sinister....

Moderator: Mods

mattcoffs

Does this sound like a moult, or something more sinister....

Post by mattcoffs »

So my ringneck is just about a year old this December (i've had her since February).

Our relationship grew quickly and things have been pretty great for 6-7 months etc.. Her behaviour has been predictable, consistent and really for the most part pleasant.

A bit of background on her personality. She wouldn't leave me alone, ever. If she was out, and i left the room she would fly after me (she's fully flighted). Every morning letting her out of her sleeping cage in the laundry, she would literally jump out before i'd hardly opened the cage door straight to me and she'd flatten out and lift her head for morning cuddles.
She'd always sit with me, let me touch her almost anywhere anyhow... Even was getting semi-comfortable with me flipping her over and laying her onto her back!
If she was in the cage and i'd leave the room she wouldn't stop whistling and chattering until she could see me again..

Anyways, the last couple of weeks it's all kind of changed. She's been flying away from me a lot, especially when i go to touch her. Almost like she's super paranoid, i'll go to scratch the back of her neck (which she loves) but she'll open up her beak as if she's going to bite me when my hand's going behind her head.

I've noticed that she's been losing a lot of feathers, and ontop of her head are a few pin feathers...
I have read that during moults, ringnecks can get a little weird and cranky...

But there's a reason why i'm a little paranoid about this. On the 19th i had a tonsillectomy, for severe chronic tonsillitis ( the surgeon even said by his experience my tonsils were enormous) anyways, as a 26yo the operation is very painful and leaves you pretty useless for a couple of weeks.
So for the first four or so days after the op Sammy had to stay in her cage, as i was sleeping a lot (almost all day) and i simply didn't have the energy to supervise her, nor run around after her when she decides to get into spots i don't want her to.... I also was sleeping on the lounge so she could see me, rather than on my bed.
There were a few times when her constant whistling at me and sometimes squawking for me got a little too much, so i covered her cage for 10 minutes or so to give her a time out (but i couldn't see how this would upset her so deeply, she's had time outs before)
I wasn't able to whistle or speak a lot, but i made a point of spending a minute or two every time i passed her cage to give her some kiss noises and attention...
After about day four, i was letting her out - but not as much as usual (which is basically anytime i'm at home, until it's her bed time at 730ish)

Usually i work fulltime, so im not usually at home during the day, however i've had holidays since having her and there hasn't been any adverse effects on her manner.
She's usually been pretty happy to sit with me and chill out but lately she can't stay still, and is constantly looking for more stimulation (or destruction, rather....) Possibly i need to get her some new toys, but she's never ben interested in anything i get her - she always just wants to hang about with me...

What's also a little strange is it's been a little hit and miss. I mean today when i got home from work i let her out as soon as i walked in as i usually do, but she just flew straight from me. I walked over to her to say hi and she flew away again. But now, as i type this she's been sitting on my wrist the whole time grinding her beak, squeaking and chattering away (she's starting to say "whatchya doin") and generally chilling out with me as she used to do.

Anyways, tell me i'm not crazy and this is just a moult thing?
Does anybody think my being sick would affect her this much?

Anybody have any suggestions?

I know this post is kinda longwinded, but i thought it best to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks so much!

Matt
ellieelectrons

Re: Does this sound like a moult, or something more sinister

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Matt

Welcome back. Sorry to hear you have been unwell.

I'm confident you will get your relationship back, although it is my opinion that your bird is just maturing. As they go from "childhood" to "adulthood" there will be changes. They may want to be more independent at times and more assertive of what they want. Your relationship will evolve over time.

When this happened to me with Janey, increasing foraging and doing trick training was helpful. Recently, I've reduced their food supply too at my vet's urging.

She may have also been unsettled not because she didn't get her out of cage time but because she could see you were sick.

You could be right, that it is moulting but I don tend to notice that in my guys. I have those sorts of problems during breeding season.

Ellie.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Hi Ellie,

I was almost waiting for your reply! I just knew you would have some insight for me! Thank you, i've been a bit absent from here but not by choice.. Life has been too crazy for being 26, i'm sure!!!

Thanks for your concern, i'm all okay though. It's something i've been dealing with for 18+ months... Nothing new. As a singer, a swollen, infected throat is never a good thing - so onwards and upward sonce it's fully healed :)

I'm still new to this parrot ownership thing, i thought i was kicking **** and doing so well, but the last week or so has really gotten to me. I know i shouldn't, but i take it to heart so easily! I just think "Why don't you love me, i do everything for you!!" look out when i have children i guess!

I feared maturing might be a reason - because that's one thing i don't have any control over. You know, i kind of complained sometimes about how she would never leave me alone! I even joked she was such a "needy" parrot. But after only a week or two, i already miss it! Who would've thought....

As i become more experienced in this game, i guess i do understand that it's an ever evolving relationship. It's just my nature to take it super personally, when i guess i shouldn't!
Honestly it was going so extraordinarily well, i almost found it hard to believe people were having so many problems with their ringnecks!

All i can do is see what happens. There's been moments where i've thought about whether i should've tried a different breed, but i couldn't imagine giving her up now (as trying as she can be) - she has a wonderful capacity to love (or at least did, we'll see!)

I'm still picking up on how intelligent they are! Do you think she really knew i was sick and was feeling bad about it? I guess when i really look back, after the first few days that were really bad she did happily sit with me while i slept and didn't even move. I mean i grew up with Labrador's and they could sense that kind of thing, but i didn't really think a bird could.... I don't know!

I am venturing to the pet store tomorrow to get her some more things, a play gym is on the list!
I'll let you know how it all goes.

If anybody else has any experiences similar or advice, please chime in :)

Matt
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Matt,

I don't know how to explain your parrot's behaviour
-MissK