What's up with this??

Moderator: Mods

MonknSharona

What's up with this??

Post by MonknSharona »

We've had our little Posey since April of '05. We got her after she had been moved to several different homes of different people trying to make a breeder out of her. When she was unsuccessful, no one seemed to want this little girl any more. So, we ended up with her. She was wild as a buck when we got her but with daily interaction she is handleable. I can hold her on my finger at least. No touching has been allowed.

Until recently.

If I walk up to her cage and make smoochy noises at her, she will lean forward, and start making the same noises back at me. Her pupils get super tiny and she keeps making the noises over and over and over again staying in a leaned forward position. When she is doing this I can pet her anywhere on her body, even scratching her on her little head without her caring; in fact, she enjoys it. This is such a sudden change in her behavior that I am paranoid that this is some sort of mating ritual or hormonal thing. I hope that it is not, as it is the first time she's let me pet her since we've had her. I don't, however, want to encourage any undesirable behavior or egg laying...we've got a cockatiel that is a chronic egg layer and an eclectus that is so hormonal right now it's nuts. :) Surely, I can't be the mate for all my birds!! :) (just kidding).

Now, if I dont' make the smoochy noises, and just walk up to her with intentions of petting her, she flies away and tries to get as far away as possible. It's almost like she's in some sort of a trance when she's doing this and I can't seem to figure out what is going on....why all of a sudden....and why won't she let me handle her at other times, except when she's acting in this behavior...

Any thoughts??? Overall lately she is much better and seems less scared of us too, so we are happy with her improvement...even if it has taken 10 months, it has been worth it.
Lots of snails, fish, cats, GSMD, and the fids: Paisley, Ruby, Posey,Lily, Weasley,Simon, Mork & Mindy

www.eversoledesign.com
www.thecreaturefeature.com
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/2 ... rsole.html
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

It does sound like that's the mating stance. You are right, better off not petting her back, this just stimulates egg production. Of course this happens in tiels...anything from Jeremy or Neo woul p robably be your best bet. I think that most birds essentially do the same thing so that's my best guess.

Dani and Prinny
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Im going to move this because it concerns eggs and I dont want Jeremy to miss it.

I worry about egg binding.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

You can't put her off laying eggs forever, but you can stil try.
You have basically found out my taming secret :lol: At the moment, i have 3 Hens that i bred and handreared last season, 2 of them are very nasty and bite anything that moves, but when i make kissing noises they go into a trance and will let me pat them and preen them. After awhile, you don't even have to make the noises, they will just get used to your hand touching them all the time. I usually pat them on the back of the head, they love getting scritches. Occasionally, i will pat them on the back, mine are only about 4 months old so i don't have to worry about eggs or anything yet, but they are hormonal.
But to be on the safe side, just stick to patting her on the back of the head, they love it :D
MonknSharona

Post by MonknSharona »

Thank you so much for the resonses!! I'm so happy to hear that I can still pet her on her little head. :) She's is still doing this and now, once she's out of her cage, I can hold her and pet her without making the noises. I was so happy when she first did this that I stood there and scratched her through the bars of her cage for what seemed like forever. I didn't want to stop!! I've been working with this girl for ten months and it seems like overnight, she just all of a sudden started this. All this time I'd never been able to pet her...she's so soft!! :)

Thanks again for your responses. I will avoid petting on her back, etc. That's OK since she especially loves scratches on her little head and under her beak. :)

I'm so happy===== I can pet my Posey! :)
Lots of snails, fish, cats, GSMD, and the fids: Paisley, Ruby, Posey,Lily, Weasley,Simon, Mork & Mindy

www.eversoledesign.com
www.thecreaturefeature.com
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/2 ... rsole.html