1st time breeder, 2 IRN eggs in box WOOHOOO

Moderator: Mods

feewee

1st time breeder, 2 IRN eggs in box WOOHOOO

Post by feewee »

Ok so I will be annoying everyone with all my questions as Im sure there will be a few. Ok so how long before incubation roughly???? Should I do anything new for their diet. Mixed seed, fresh fruit and bread atm with cuttle fish in cage also.
Well any way Im off to celebrate WOOHOOO
rod038

Re: 1st time breeder, 2 IRN eggs in box WOOHOOO

Post by rod038 »

Increase the Seed and Fruit as it gets closer to the chicks hatching. They should hatch about 28 to 30 Days from first egg being laid.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Congrats on your news!!! Exciting times for you :D
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Congrats on your eggs. I had my first clutch this year it is very exciting. I ended up with 1 grey baby and 2 blues. The parent are grey and silver. Keep us updated on their progress :D
feewee

Post by feewee »

Thank you all for replies :D
Ringo our male is Green ( his dad green, mum yellow) & Star (her mum grey, dad blue) our female is Blue with Gray on wings. Any idea's on colours we may get??
Also when should I check box again to see if anymore eggs ( last checked saturday morning & have not want to disturb Ringo & Star so trying to keep away) & Also ( sorry so many questions but if are more then happy to answer I have a heap lol) I hand raised my 2 but got them about 4wks old. When is the best time to removed from nest to start hand raising???
Cheers again for your replies :D

Soz I should have mentioned Star has flecks of gray on her wings. I know it may not make a difference to the out come of chicks tho lol
Last edited by feewee on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi feewee,

I'm not experienced in breeding IRNs at all, so am unable to give you any advice there....except to maybe recommend you look up Lushen's thread titled "MY IRN pairings for 2012" (sorry, I'm not sure how to post the link here without losing what I've already typed :!: )
The thread is about 3 pages long though, and it follows Lushen's progress right from first egg laid - it's an excellent source of information on what to expect, some of the issues he encountered etc, and well worth the read. There are a number of other noteworthy threads also......have a look through some of the current threads in the Mutations forum.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress :D
Regards Deb
rod038

Post by rod038 »

If your nest box is easy access then you could check every second day as that is how often they lay eggs usually. Sometimes though it may be 3 days in between.
From what you said and not knowing if there are any other splits your pair could breed Lutino Hens as well as Green Hens and Cocks.
If this is their first time Breeding you would be best to let them raise any young themnselves to prevent issues in the future. If they are not doing a good job then you may need to help them with some feeds. If the younger chicks arent getting fed then you could remove the older chicks but leave some with the pair to raise.
feewee

Post by feewee »

Thank you Willowisp71 & rod038 thank you for your advise. Ive had a read of Lushies thread ( heaps of great reading there) and Rod good idea. As would like them to continue breeding and dont want to put them off of it.
So saturday morning there was 2 eggs and on inspection this morning still only 2 egg's. I did manage to get a pic but it's telling me this thread has reached it's quota, so when I work out how to upload onto here I will be sure to share pic's of Ringo & star and egg :D
No Ive heard to expect up to 5 egg's. The fact star has only laid to, should I be worried about her being egg bound and what are the signs of this. ( again Im sorry for the questions & Im sure if my 3 kids would give me time I could look it up myself, but if you dont mind answering that would be a great help :D )

Again thank you for all your helpful advise :D
Fee :D
feewee

Post by feewee »

One of the eggs has vanished, no sign of it at all??????????? any ideas as to how this or why this has happened. Star still going in to other egg and ringo still feeding her. Would it be worth candling the remaining egg to see if fertile, would it be too late in the season for them to lay more eggs, being it was only last wk these ones laid. Im soo confused atm. I knew a good chance neither egg would hatch but so wasnt expecting one to just vanish :(
any advice and or answers on this one welcome

thanks in advance again :D