Feeding my bird

Moderator: Mods

TomAndGene

Feeding my bird

Post by TomAndGene »

Hello recently I've been feeding my IRN gene fruits and veges, Such as apples(no seed), carrots, celery, red capsicum to name the main ones.

I made the mistake of a full sunflower seed diet for about 2 weeks, Now all i can think about is did i do something really bad and make gene fat or something :(
I've removed sunflower seeds from genes diet and i only give them to gene when I'm training him for a treat.
Also should there be a limit to how much i give gene? I just leave slices around the cage in the food cups. am i meant to ration it?

Also, Is corn fatty for my birdy?

tom.
sanjays mummi

Re: Feeding my bird

Post by sanjays mummi »

If you mean sweetcorn (maize) , no it is not fatty, and Sanjay has cobs of it hung up in his cage frequently. I feed him a varied diet of fruit and veg, he has some seed, millet and a seed bar, but he prefers fresh foods. Kiwi goes nicely with apple, citrus fruits, pear ( no seeds), chilli peppers and capsicum. Broccoli, peas, I pass bamboo skewers through them and hang them through the roof bars anchored with a clothes peg (wooden), he has roasted peanuts in their shells, and walnuts, but he also likes pumpkin seeds. I feed gourds and papaya, half in a bowl, also half melon. In another bowl a selection of berries, blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries, I skewer strawberries whole, because the seeds are external. It may sound costly, but on our market here we can get fresh produce really cheaply. Oh, Sanjay says grapes are yummy too.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My avian vet said that birds to not tend to overeat. However, if you give them too much food they will eat the things that they love most first so they won't necessarily get a balanced diet. Not feeding my birds too much is something I struggle with a lot. Ideally, there would just be a tiny bit of food left from the previous day's food when you change their food the next day. I also like to get my birds to forage for their food. It gives them something to do during the day and they really enjoy it.

Ellie.
TomAndGene

Post by TomAndGene »

Very helpful, Thank you very much! :D :D :D :D