my two chicks don't want to eat!!

Moderator: Mods

seefm5

my two chicks don't want to eat!!

Post by seefm5 »

hi, I have two chicks their age is 47 days the were eating well, yesterday I gave them normal grains they tried to eat it but they cant and the don't want to eat the formula! they refuse it!! today they ate only 7 cc' for each one of them!!

they cant eat by themselves and refuse the formula that I gave to them all the time!! I tried to feed now and they still refuse!!

what can I do for them!?

I hope you help me quickly!

thanks
McmillanBirds

Re: my two chicks don't want to eat!!

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

Your birds are probably starting to wean off of formula. Are you putting them in a cage during the day?
If you are try giving them a little grated apple or cooked mixed veggies in a colourful dish. Strangely enough i find the more colourful the more interested they are. Don't give up hope if the dont eat immediately, give them fresh stuff everyday.
Drop their formula to twice a day, morning and night. Once you start seeing them nibbling on the veggies you can start putting seed or pellets in for them to start playing with and a very shallow dish with water in(so they cant hurt themselves). You can also then lower their feed to once a day when they are nibbling. They will tell you when they dont want the formula anymore, but, also dont let them go hungry if they are not eating anything on their own.

Regards
Carmen
seefm5

Post by seefm5 »

But they refuse all the food!!they Dont eat the formula or any fruit!! They only try to eat the sunflowers seeds! They cant eat it just trying!! What should I do they are very weak all the time sleeping they are very hungry!! I tried to force them on eating the formula but they still refuse it!

Please help!!
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Are you feeding with a syringe or spoon? If you are feeding with a syringe it will be easier to force feed them a bit. It may sound harsh but it keeps their fluids up. Hold the baby on your lap, use your 1 hand to hold it steady, cupping around the head with you thumb on the side of the beak, with your other hand take the syringe and gently use your thumb and syringe to open the beak, the syringe tip must go towards the back of the beak and your thumb should prevent most of the formula from being spat out. Even if u get 2 or 3mls down twice a day it should be enough to keep them going for a while. When they get really hungry they will eat. If they are playing with the seed they should be getting close to cracking it open. Try mixing budgie seed with the sunflower seed, so there are smaller, softer seeds for them to chew on. Maybe try cooking sweet potatoe or butternut and mashing it with a little water and try feeding them that either with a spoon or syringe. When they are hungry, they will take from you.