Green female and blue male?

Moderator: Mods

Meg.E

Green female and blue male?

Post by Meg.E »

I have a blue male indian ringneck and a green indian ringneck who I'm not sure whether is a girl or boy yet as he (as I just call it) has slightly darker green feathers around the bottom of his neck and slightly lighter green feathers on the top, but this could just be the female colouring. If he turns out to be a girl I want to breed with the two of them, and I was wondering what colour the babies would be. I have looked everywhere for a colour chart but haven't found anything that has helped me.
Thanks in advance! :)
Chienderace

Re: Green female and blue male?

Post by Chienderace »

As in the previous topic, go to Gencalc.com and then psittacula and fiddle around until you become conversant with it and it will predict your outcomes. I am guessing that you don't know the parentage of your birds so until they actually breed you have to presume that they are as the appear. Your mating would give green birds all split to blue. If there are other factors in their make up, these will come to light when you breed them.
Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

Thanks so much for your help, and I am sorry I'm so new to this, but what does it mean when a colour is split to another colour? Is that when their wings, tail and head is one colour and the rest is a different colour? Or something along those lines?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Meg

I think split means it will visually look like one colour but will carry the genes for another. Eg. If you have a green split to blue, then that means your bird will look green (it won't have anything on it that looks blue) but if you breed it with the right partner you could possibly get blue chicks because it carries the genes for blue too.

Ellie.
Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi Meg

I think split means it will visually look like one colour but will carry the genes for another. Eg. If you have a green split to blue, then that means your bird will look green (it won't have anything on it that looks blue) but if you breed it with the right partner you could possibly get blue chicks because it carries the genes for blue too.

Ellie.
Oh, right, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am still getting used to all of this, but I suppose I need to know these things if I will be breeding soon!
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Meg.E, you are 100% correct when you say you will need to learn these things. There isn't a single, reputable breeder out there that doesn't understand at least the basics of mutation inheritance. And every breeder wants to be reputable, right? :)
Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

Johan S wrote:Meg.E, you are 100% correct when you say you will need to learn these things. There isn't a single, reputable breeder out there that doesn't understand at least the basics of mutation inheritance. And every breeder wants to be reputable, right? :)
Yes, you are right. It's all so confusing but I'll be ready to breed next season so I'm going to need to start studying hard!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Meg

Everyone has to start somewhere! Happy studying.

:D

Ellie.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Meg, you will really enjoy discovering how genetics work. It is truely a very fascinating hobby! :D
Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

Johan S wrote:Meg, you will really enjoy discovering how genetics work. It is truely a very fascinating hobby! :D
Do you suggest any particular websites that could help?
ellieelectrons wrote:Hi Meg

Everyone has to start somewhere! Happy studying.

:D

Ellie.
Thanks! :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Meg.E wrote:Do you suggest any particular websites that could help?
If you like jumping into the deep end of the pool, try http://www.euronet.nl/users/hnl/ :D

Also, learning to use http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR would greatly assist. In order to use it effectively, you need to have a look here and understand these concepts: http://www.gencalc.com/html/mut_eng.html

If you don't know the basics, I suggest working through wikipedia pages, starting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics

Good luck! I hope you enjoyed your spare time while you had it. This stuff is going to suck you right in until you get it! :D
Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

Thanks Johan, I am looking forward to learning about breeding colours. I didn't realise how many colours you could get!