My IRN is scared of me :(

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Marujita79

My IRN is scared of me :(

Post by Marujita79 »

Hello there!
I have a 3mo Lutino IRN, he's been with us for about a month now. He eats and sleeps well. He has started to make the cutest sounds. We are in love with him and couldn't have chosen a better bird for our family.
My only concern is that he's scared of me, when I hold him is always trying to fly away, he starts panting and shaking, this doesn't happen when my seven year old is holding him...it only happens to me :cry:
What can I do? What am I doing wrong? How can I gain his trust? I'm the only one cleaning his cage, changing the water and food....I mean he can obviously see that I'm the one caring for him. Please help me!
ellieelectrons

Re: My IRN is scared of me :(

Post by ellieelectrons »

Possibly he is not scared of your seven year old because he is small? He may be scared of you because you are bigger? With patience and time and a bit of smarts you will win him over. My Charlie was very scared of us when we first brought him home... now he rushes to greet me every day and loves hanging out with me.

Make sure you are the one to give him his fav treats - associate good things with being with you.

If you can avoid it, try not to force him to do anything, try to get him to come to you using treats.

Ellie.