Setting up my IRN pair

Moderator: Mods

hammadahsan

Setting up my IRN pair

Post by hammadahsan »

Hey guys
I just bought a ringneck pair 2 weeks ago, olive male (2.5) (faint ring) and lutino female (2.5 years old) after months of intense studying them up on the net. I bought the pair from a breeder who I,ve known for a very longtime and he said that this was a proven pair and had 4 babies last year, I'm not sure if this is true but I choose to believe him. The pair is semi-tame and will eat all the vegies from hand. I have kept the pair in a 2x2x4 long cage and will move it to a bigger cage some time later. I have also attached a breeding box to the cage.
My reason for breeding them is that I am looking forward to breed bigger birds after I gain experience with the medium sized birds likewise the Quaker, conures and ringnecks

I am not sure when I will get the babies from the pair I have and I know it might take a considerable time till they breed and they do not look like they are in the breeding mood right now. what can i do to make them more interested in each other? I have been feeding them lots of fruits and vegies and boiled eggs which they consume instantly. The temperature in the basement(where the birds are) might be a little less for their breeding, around 21 celsius, what can i do about that. I have heard that it is very very hard to handfeed Indian ringnecks because they don't open their mouths, is this just a rumour?

I am at a very early stage with breeding ringnecks and every small detail will be helpful.

Thank you very much.
Molossus2

Re: Setting up my IRN pair

Post by Molossus2 »

Hammed hi,
Where are you located?
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

I am located in toronto, Canada
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Hammed,
It probably is breeding season where you are.irns are not difficult to breed I advise that you look up local breeders to learn the ropes. Babies are not difficult to hand rear. Patience and the right nutrition is all you need..but Experienced breeders are your best teachers. Find one near you.
Regards,
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

True that but one thing I'm worried about is that I'm not too sure that the birds are bonded, the female is the boss here. They don't mind each other in the cage but squawk if the other gets too close, will they get along if either one of the birds want to breed? because they are individual birds right now and the last breeder said they were proven and had no defaults like killing chick or breaking eggs, and should I turn the temperature up or leave it at 21°c