Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Digger07

Post by Digger07 »

Hi everyone
Jim here, I have been given a 4year old tuquoise blue male indian ringneck because the original owners said that thebird is getting cage bound and to noicy. He started to tear out his feathers on one wing and calls frequently for other birds. I have a small avery measuring 6x3x2.5meters that has already 12 Cockatiells, 2 japanese qails and 6 white doves. The bird is beautifull and very tame but i think he is lonely. So i guess what i would like to know is this: how long will it takt for him to regrow his flight feathers and should i buy him a companien bird? Also what age should the new companien be for him to accept her? To get a good match for him that will produce a stunning coulored offspring, how do i go abaut that and what do you recommend i need in the avery to make him happy. ( there is a 3 tier pond with running water and plenty of roosting branches and some plants like ferns and small leavy palms but they do not usually last very long and get destroyed reasonably quickly by the birds)
Being a ringneck, It does not appear that there is a problem with the other birds in the avery and he seems much happier in the new environment, but seems also very cautious and a bit hessittant none the less( it is only his 2 nd day in the avery and i take him inside the house of a night time for at least a few more days.
So any comments and recommendations i would welcome.
Thank you
ellieelectrons

Re: New member

Post by ellieelectrons »

Welcome to the forum.

I'll leave most of your questions for someone who has more knowledge than me about breeding, etc.

... but from everything I've read about IRNs, I don't think it's a good idea to have him in an aviary with your cockatiels. It is very likely that eventually (especially if you get a female mate for him) your cockatiels will get hurt.

Ellie.
sections

Post by sections »

Hi Digger

welcome to the forum. You're in the right place for info i got allot of help here when I was breeding my 2 ringies. Ill answer the questions i know.
His feathers will only grow back when he molts again. There is the risk that if he has damaged the follicles in the wing that they may not grow back. I would recommend keeping an eye on him while he settles in to make sure hes not still plucking.

As far as introducing a new friend for him i would recommend that they have there own aviary or a large cage. Birds can be introduced at any age if done carefully. It may take time, the first intro of the bird should in a secure large area where they can sus each other out, but have space to get away if things get rough. Then it just depends how they get along which determines how long it will take to put them together in an aviary. If they get along put them together in there new aviary. some times it takes a few days for them to get used to each other. My 2 took 2 days in separate cages next to each other with monitored time together out of the cage. I still had to get another cage to put them in as my female was happy with the male being near her on his cage but the second he went on her cage she freaked out hard. These two paired and breed with in 6 months of being together and are the best of friends. the male actually trys to fight me if i give the female to much attention. haha its so cute. They do get very territorial when breading season comes round. The best way to intro a new mate is to put them in a new cage / aviary at the same time this will make them even and neither should be aggressive and trying to defend its space.

As far as what colour female to breed him with if you look in the breeding or genetic section there are heaps of info in there about colour breeding. I hope that helps.
Digger07

Post by Digger07 »

sections wrote:Hi Digger

welcome to the forum. You're in the right place for info i got allot of help here when I was breeding my 2 ringies. Ill answer the questions i know.
His feathers will only grow back when he molts again. There is the risk that if he has damaged the follicles in the wing that they may not grow back. I would recommend keeping an eye on him while he settles in to make sure hes not still plucking.

As far as introducing a new friend for him i would recommend that they have there own aviary or a large cage. Birds can be introduced at any age if done carefully. It may take time, the first intro of the bird should in a secure large area where they can sus each other out, but have space to get away if things get rough. Then it just depends how they get along which determines how long it will take to put them together in an aviary. If they get along put them together in there new aviary. some times it takes a few days for them to get used to each other. My 2 took 2 days in separate cages next to each other with monitored time together out of the cage. I still had to get another cage to put them in as my female was happy with the male being near her on his cage but the second he went on her cage she freaked out hard. These two paired and breed with in 6 months of being together and are the best of friends. the male actually trys to fight me if i give the female to much attention. haha its so cute. They do get very territorial when breading season comes round. The best way to intro a new mate is to put them in a new cage / aviary at the same time this will make them even and neither should be aggressive and trying to defend its space.

As far as what colour female to breed him with if you look in the breeding or genetic section there are heaps of info in there about colour breeding. I hope that helps.

Thanks forthe info it is very helpful.
Cheers jim
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Digger07 wrote:
sections wrote:Hi Digger

Thanks forthe info it is very helpful.
Cheers jim
Been wondering the same thing thanks for the info from me to love this site