IRN on shoulder

Moderator: Mods

spdbalshaw

IRN on shoulder

Post by spdbalshaw »

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on an issue i am having with my 10 week indian ringneck. he was hand tamed and i have had him for a few weeks now so he is very friendly, the only problem i feel like i might have, is that when he is sitting with me in the loungeroom all he wants to do is get up on my shoulder, however i have tried to prevent this as the breeder i got him of, recommended keeping them of the shoulder for at least the first 1-2 years to avoid authority problems. he has also a couple of times when i have let him up there, got a little to high an opinion of himself and given my ear a little nip, so i have been trying to stop him from getting up there by trying to keep him sitting on my hand and blocking his path to my shoulder. The thing is i am worried that in doing this i am giving him the shits and in time he may come to despise me for this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
claire31

Re: IRN on shoulder

Post by claire31 »

Hi i have a 20week old lutino IRN who we got at 10weeks have heard about not putting on your shoulder but she was used to it in the pet store and we have continued when she got a bit stroppy we just told her no and put her on the ground and stood over her when she settled we picked her up again this has been repeated over the past 10 weeks and she is great now. She had a big fascination for my pearl earrings could whip them out before i knew it now shes learnt to leave them alone. We've had trouble getting her to learn to step off my shoulder but again have persisted and now shes doing it beautifully, havent used food treats for training either.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi

There is no set rule to follow about the shoulder. I have one bird that I'm happy to let sit on my shoulder and another that I'm not because she occasionally bites ears.

It is a natural reaction to want to go to your shoulder. They feel safe up there. My Charlie runs up there whenever he is scared.

I guess what I'm trying to say is only try to prevent the bird going to the shoulder if it's what you want, don't worry about what the breeder says.

Preventing running to the shoulder is difficult. I'm learning with my guys that when I want them to learn something, I need to work on keeping them calm, and not getting them excited. If engaging in a race with you to run to the shoulder gets them excited then that in itself could be reinforcing for your bird and may make them try it all the more.

Being able to get them to step off your shoulder when you want them to is a good thing to try to teach them. I have limited success with this with my birds. For whatever reason, when they are on a perch, they will usually happily step up, but when I put my hand to them when they are on my shoulder, they tend to bite it. It could be because I've engaged in the "trying to force them off my shoulder" type behaviour before and now they have an aversion to hands up there, I don't know.

I know this isn't much help... but if I have to summarise my opinion on the best way to work with this, it would be:
1. decide for your yourself whether you are comfortable with your bird on your shoulder - don't worry about "the rules"
2. try to keep yourself and your bird calm in your interactions if you are trying to remove your bird from your shoulder. This also involves studying your bird's body language. Before getting your bird to step up, take a couple of seconds to really look at your bird's body language. Does it look calm or excited? If your bird looks too excited, it may be best to leave it for a couple of minutes and come back.

I hope others can give you some more advice to help you decide what course you wish to follow.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

I work on shoulder training with the baby fids at the shop and most find this to be a very secure and safe place to perch but they need to learn not to bite, that jewellery and glasses are not playthings, and not to bite when you ask them to step up.

My young Senegal loves my shoulder and is pretty reluctant to step up from there although she does not mind being picked up bodily... it is her safe place and retreat when she feels threatened or needs to check something out. And it is one of her favourite places to get scritches and give me kisses... she gives little love nibbles which tickle and sometimes will gently grab your ear to get your attention.

With other birds that are nippy I let them up to my shoulder and follow them with my hand and keep it there... if they are stepping up to your hand they should not see your hand as a threat and need to get used to your hands moving about.

Sometimes they like to hide right between my shoulders or snuggle at the nape of my neck and will have to herd them to one side or the other so that they can be reached and over time they learn to step up from the shoulder.

My male Ringneck does not like the shoulder much as he is far too interactive while my female prefers my shoulder and I am teaching her to stay on my hand and not run up my arm... she is fine on my shoulder and steps up when asked and does not nip or bite. She saves all that for when she is in her cage. :)