New to hand rearing - Help?

Moderator: Mods

catherine

New to hand rearing - Help?

Post by catherine »

We pulled our four week old Ringneck chick from the nest two days ago which wasn't what we were planning on doing but she had to have vet care and we didn't have much choice. I've never hand reared before so I'm not sure how long it's meant to take her to get used to our formula.

We're currently using Passwell's Hand Rearing Mix with little success, she doesn't seem to like the mix very much at all, she's not giving a feeding response and she hasn't gained weight at all since we pulled her, if anything she's lost a couple of grams. I'm really worried that we're doing something wrong. We have the mix at 35 degrees C as it says on the package but would anyone recommend a different temperature? I have read 42-43 degrees in other sources. Are there any tips that will get her to feed and is this normal for newly pulled chicks?

I'd really appreciate advice from breeders who have been through this before!
Molossus2

Re: New to hand rearing - Help?

Post by Molossus2 »

Is the bird comfortable/warm/away from bright lights/in a box type atmosphere?
Is the feed warm and not hot .... Use the back of your hand to feel the heat and when it's just above body temp it's right....
Is the feed the right consistency...ie not thick or runny?
Is it a recognized hand rearing formula?
catherine

Post by catherine »

Yes, she didn't seem to like being in a box to feed so we wrap her gently in a small towel and hold her while feeding. Although she's still quite fearful of us. We make sure to feed her in a quiet environment without distractions.
Since posting I've increased the temperature of the mix to around 42 degrees and she responds a little better to it but it's in no way a proper feeding response that you'd expect.
I've tried different consistencies and have even tried adding vegetable puree but she hasn't shown much of a preference.
It is a well known brand here in Australia, I think they're more well known for their pellets however so would it be a good idea to try a different brand out?
catherine

Post by catherine »

Just as an update, she finally gave me a proper feeding response, even if only for a couple of seconds. I'm very relieved at this point, I think she'll start getting the hang of it now. It may have been partly because I added a tiny bit of peanut butter to the mix and I increased the temperature. I'll weigh her tomorrow and see how she's done.