Moths in bird seed

Moderator: Mods

Hermionestwin

Moths in bird seed

Post by Hermionestwin »

Hi I dont know if this has been asked or not, I tried searching but no cigar..
I have been buying 2 bird seeds on is just a basic plain parrot seed from the Australian Parrot Society and the other is a fruit nut seed mix, and i mix them both together also giving Evie fresh fruit and veg daily..I have discovered more than once moths and when i did i took the food back complained and got my money back, because the fruit and nut one isnt exactly cheap... I didnt buy much seed for the past few moths and now I have come to the fact that its always going to end up having moths in them, we got the moths in the house under control with traps etc. but now I have bought new food and i have spilt them up together in smaller containers and froze them. My question is how long should i freeze the food? and should i be concerned about the mold from deforsting??
mikeb

Re: Moths in bird seed

Post by mikeb »

yes the moths eggs are in the seeds and in the heat of spring and summer they will hatch not much you can do, freezing food and taking out a little at a time helps but don't know about mold mine has never molded but i put mine in vacuum seal bags and only put them in freezer if i have room cause without any air in the bag the bugs or their eggs cannot survive
Hermionestwin

Re: Moths in bird seed

Post by Hermionestwin »

I put them in plastic "take-away" containers, its more econmical to buy the seed in 2kg bag than the 1kg bag...I am just going to defrost each container when needed...Its spring here in Australia where I am, so yeah...My bird dislikes the pellets they are in the bird seed i get and she literally picks them out and throws them on the floor of her cage or stand thats why i feed her seed and mainly fruit and veg..but seed is easier to keep in her cage when we're out for the day especially now in warmer months because it doesnt spoil liek the fresh fruit and veg thanks :)