4 week old IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Ikhan

4 week old IRN

Post by Ikhan »

Hi There

My name is Iqbal, hail from South Africa. I purchased a 4 week old blue IRN on Friday 21 Oct. 2011 from a breeder. He took it out of cage from its mother. Breeder said to still give it formula but it does not want it. I have to force it with a syringe. It is fully feathered, flies low and climbs up the cage perfectly. I am worried that he does not want to eat properly. He loves it when i scratch his head, almost falls asleep with one eye closed lol. He also gets scared and flies to the corners when i remove him from the cage.

Please can anyone give some advice, much appreciated.
Azeta

Re: 4 week old IRN

Post by Azeta »

Hi!!!!

I'm also from SA and also new to the world of mothering a parrot. I have a green IRN which I named Malakai, his about 7 weeks and I've had him for 2 weeks now. I'm home for a month and spend every day with him, I also fed him with a syringe for his first week but he began eating on his own all by himself. What I did was whenever I made his porridge I took him with and soon he learnt to climb from my shoulder to his bowl. He was hand reared so he has no problem climbing on me and he even knows how to step up. The only problem is his beginning to fly now so I'm terrified to take him outside now.

If you need any advice I don't mind sharing what I learnt in these short weeks of having Malakai. Hope this helped a tiny bit.

Azeta
Ikhan

Re: 4 week old IRN

Post by Ikhan »

Many thanks for the feedback Azeta. My baby(RIO) is now growing eats soft foods on his own. Luvs corn, apples, peas. I also break sunflower seeds for him. He is also trying to fly now. He does not want to be in the cage, only at night goes in by himself. Although comes to us, sits on us but still growls or trys to peck when we go to pick him up from cage :D .

Take care, all the best. Where in S.A r u. I am in Gauteng.